It Started With Gurgling Drains...!

Old 12-01-09, 03:56 PM
Received 5 Votes on 1 Post
It Started With Gurgling Drains...!

Two years ago I bought this house probably built in the late 50's, early 60's.
Before I bought the house I was looking at it and saw where the owner had just replaced the drain line from the house to the street. The neighbors verified this was replaced.
The washing machine is in the kitchen.
Okay so now...Two weeks ago...when the washing machine drained it gurgles in the kitchen sink then the bathtub and lavatory gurgle. Okay, no problem.
A few days later the washing machine drains, everything gurgles again then water backs up into the bathtub and lavatory. Okay, I can live with that but I know something's wrong now.
The next time I wash clothes they all back up again and this time water seeps onto the floor from under the toilet. This I cannot live with...LOL.
I called a plumber, he came out and said the drain is probably clogged with roots. He cleaned it out but said he didn't get much out at all and he have his guy come look into with his camera.
The guy came and looked into the pipe from the cleanout (about 3' from the front of the house). I looked too and the 4" PVC pipe was cleaner than a whistle from the cleanout to the street. THEN there is nothing...you see just dirt. He pinpointed the area and sprayed it with green paint. He said by looking at it the street has sunken and it probably sunk onto the pipe and it would have to be replaced.
To the tune of $5,000 at worst. It could be less, he said.
I did see down the pipe and it looks like at the end was just dirt.
If that's so, wouldn't the drain water just drain out into the dirt?
Now when I wash clothes I just wash a few on the medium setting and when the washing machine starts draining I lift the lid to stop the draining and give the water time to get down. then I close the lid and let it drain alittle more. Then I shut the lid, etc. till it's all done draining.
The neighbor across the street from me doesn't wash clothes at home anymore because hers backs up too. Another neighbor down the street had to replaced his line at the street this last summer. He said the city won't help at all.
So, is there something I can do to fix this or manage it without spending $4000?
One more thing- after I take a shower I smell sewer gas. This just started 2 nights ago.
Thank you. You guys are the best.
You've ALWAYS helped me.

Last edited by Dawter; 12-01-09 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-09, 05:19 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
This sounds like a very serious problem with the city sewer since it affects more than just your house. If I were you I'd be calling the city right now!

Old 12-01-09, 06:08 PM
Oh, people have called them. The city says it's not their fault.

Old 12-01-09, 06:47 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Maybe it's time to call the health department and also the state health department. A call to the local newspaper or television news help people might also be in order. What you describe sounds like raw sewage is building up under your street. If the side sewer has been replaced as you say it has then the problem is at the connection to the city sewer and THAT is a major health problem.

Old 12-01-09, 08:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Another reason why this is a city problem is that the escaping sewerage can cause a sink hole under the street. Sink holes can swallow cars without warning. I seen one here over twenty feet deep.

Old 12-01-09, 10:51 PM
Okay, wow, thanks. I'll look into this and let you know what I find out. Thanks again.