Galvanized pipe

Old 12-04-09, 06:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Galvanized pipe

Hello,

real question: my home is 40 years old. The drains for tubs, sinks, washer are of galvanized pipe. Referring to the portion of the drain in the wall, that is. The visible portions have long since been replaced by PVC. It appears that the galvanized drain pipes connect to cast iron waste pipes and then to the city sewer. Water supply lines are copper.

Is it worth it to replace the galvanized pipes?

We have chronic slow or stopped drains that cant be accounted for by grease or hair. Some of the galvanized pipe runs are horizontal.
We are in the process of kitchen repair due to hole at the outer elbow of galvanized pipe. About the size of a quarter.
When it was repaired, plumber told me it was probably due to electrolysis with copper pipe nearby.
Repair was made by cutting out the elbow and using rubber connector from remaining galvanized pipe to pvc.

Bathroom sink was clogged. I removed tailpiece, trap, etc.
Clog was right at the galvanized pipe opening, unidentifiable 'stuff'. Upon reassembly, the pvc pipe inserted into the galvanized pipe leaks. The compression fitting does not tighten enough. The end of the galvanized pipe is threaded. I can't figure why it wasn't leaking all along.
So, second question is what's best way to make the pvc to galvanized connection?

many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-09, 07:03 PM
S
I would say a "no hub" or "fernco" coupling would be best. You don't have to mess around with threads.

Old 12-04-09, 07:55 PM
S
What has happened is what you are going to have to live with as long as galv pipe is in your house,it has rusted and will no longer make a good seal.since you are redoing portions of your home this would be an ideal time to rip that galv out.It will rust from inside and clog until it fails.The clogging issues will continue.