Heat Tape~Self Sticking Type?

Old 12-07-09, 05:04 PM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Heat Tape~Self Sticking Type?

Is there such a thing as self sticking heat tape?
I have DirecTV and in AZ the dish sits at almost 45° and is oriented to the normal winter storms. We live in the mountains and I get tired of going outside in the snow to clear the dish off.
I thought I would apply some heat tape to the back of the dish and just "defrost" as required.
I have used heat tape before but I did not know if it came with a sticky back tape or not.
I can use other methods if I have have to.

Old 12-08-09, 12:23 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I have never seen any self-sticking heat tape.

Old 12-08-09, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
As long as your dish is ferrous metal you could use a magnetic heater designed for engine blocks.

Old 12-08-09, 01:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by GregH
As long as your dish is ferrous metal you could use a magnetic heater designed for engine blocks.
Just a question, what is a magnet going to do to the reception?

Old 12-08-09, 02:31 PM
K
I am thinking nothing. All the dish is is a reflector/collector. But I just checked and this far South we are at a 48° angle of of course it faces the prevalent direction of our winter storms.
I believe it will be fine and I also think it's only going to have to be on just a few minutes and the thin reflector will radiate the heat and all will be well.
I have the HD dish and looking that the mount there is a nice flat area right dead center above the mount this will go on.
I will trail a cord to the ground and plug it in as needed only. I could even rig the outside plug to the patio switched lights if I wanted to to make it really simple.
It has to be better than going to the garage where I have a hose big and a hose to wash the car and going out in the snow every few hours when it's snowing good to spray it off again.
Here is the one I just put on order.

Amazon.com: Kats 1153 Handi-Heat 200 Watt Magnetic Heater: Automotive

Old 12-08-09, 03:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the electrical current being a problem than magnetism.

Have you talked to your provider about this?They might be able to advise you plus you could be violating some aspect of your contract such as no alterations can be made to the dish or something like that.

Old 12-08-09, 05:28 PM
K
I could care less about the provider. They won't come out and clean the dish when it's fouled with snow and they don't care if I leave the dish here when I leave.
And 60 hz will not affect the frequencies that the horns are looking for. Take my word for it. I am retired electronics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: