Gas pipe reduction question

Old 12-14-09, 02:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas pipe reduction question

I'm installing a tankless water heater, and the connection for the gas line is a 3/4" T. However, it is stepped down to 1/2 inch on the side of the T that is accessible, so my plan is to install a 1/2" to 3/4" reducer, which will restrict the size of the pipe to 1/2" for about 3", but it will then open back up to 3/4". Basically I will have a length of 3/4" followed by a couple inches of 1/2" and then another length of 3/4". I realize this will reduce the flow of gas some, but will it effect the flow rate as much as having a full run of 1/2" pipe would?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 03:16 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Yes.

Instantaneous (tankless) gas water heaters use a huge amount of gas. If you are trying to replace a tank-type water heater you may (usually) need to replace piping all the way back to the gas meter. Do you have any other gas appliances that are served by the 3/4 inch piping?

Old 12-14-09, 06:42 PM
T
The 1.5" service line comes in, T's off to a 1" line that heads to the furnace and a 3/4" line that then T's off to a 1/2" dryer line and a 3/4" line that T's off to a 3/4" line for the stove and a 1/2" line for the current water heater. My plan was to take the old water heater line and increase it to 3/4", but there would be the 1/2" bottleneck that I mentioned before. There is a union on a 3/4" piece before the T to the dryer and stove/heater that I could break and insert a 3/4" T for the new tankless so that I would only have to replace the dryer line and hook back up to the line running to the stove. That way I can run 3/4" line all the way to the new tankless heater.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you are able to decipher the situation above and see any problems.

Old 12-15-09, 01:57 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Well, you sound like you are capable of making the calculations to engineer the gas piping system so here is the simplest link I know of on the subject. It is for connecting a generator to a natural gas system but the principle is the same. Be sure to do the complete calculation to be sure all appliances have the proper sized piping.
natural gas piping system

Old 12-15-09, 10:36 PM
I think that you're saying that a 3/4" feeds both the water heater and the stove. Tankless water heaters are an efficient way to make hot water, but they need a LOT of gas right now. Some residential gas meters are too small to handle the load.

Anytime that I've seen problems with tankless water heaters, it's been 90% undersized gas, 9.8% some other installation problem, and 0.2% something wrong with the unit itself.