Clogged Garage Floor Drain

Old 01-05-10, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a home built in 1962 with a floor drain in the garage. The home is in Minneapolis, MN. Below the drain cover there is a 2" cast iron pipe that extends down about 2' and then there is a very hard blockage that almost feels like concrete. I tried a 1" steel snake, but that was useless. Water does drain very slowly, and handles incindental water from cars and snow, but I would like to wash cars inside and any higher volume of water causes it to back-up.

I have thought about renting a power auger to see if that could chew through the blockage, but I don't want to damage the piping.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-10, 10:45 AM
There should be a "P" trap at the bottom of that 2' tail piece that you are looking into. A 1" snake is too large to go through the trap. Try a small (1/4" to 3/8") snake.

Old 01-06-10, 05:35 AM

Lefty,

Last night I tried a smaller snake, and no luck. I think the blockage is before the p-trap.

Old 01-06-10, 04:02 PM
If the blockage is before the P-trap, you can use anything that will fir inside the pipe to dig it out. The P-trap is directly below the floor cover, how ever far down it may be to the top of the trap. (This is assuming that you have a P-trap.)

But do you have a DRUM TRAP under the floor??

I certainly wouldn't sent a power drain auger down the drain until you know FOR SURE what you are dealing with. A power snake will tear up a drum trap (if that's what's actually there), and you will have MAJOR problems.

Old 01-07-10, 06:06 AM

Since the blockage is down about 2' below the garage slab, I can't be sure what type of trap is down there. I really can't see with a flashlight. I am not familiar with Drum Traps, but after looking a few pictures on-line, this doesn't look typical to construction in other parts of the house. Is there any way of knowing what type of trap it is with such limited viewing ability?