Repaired leak still leaks


Old 01-06-10, 08:28 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Repaired leak still leaks

1" pipe from water well to house began leaking. Home Depot said use this 6" "coupling" (is that the right term?), screw both ends on, no glue, just the seals inside will fix it. It was too short. Handed me an "extension," said to cut off what I need to make it reach from end to end. I asked how can that work? Guess I didn't understand! Put the thing in, tightened it to the max, did not leak last night, but began leaking toady. Explain how to put in these extensions. Do they stick outside the coupling, or do they stay inside and extend with the seals? Really need help in a hurry; cold weather is moving in fast; thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-10, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,717
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
I've used the compression repair couplers as you mentioned, and they do work pretty well. I don't quite understand the "extension" as you mentioned. Considering it held pressure, I'd assume it's meant to be used as you're using it, but I just can't picture it. On the other hand, my local HD has 6" and 12" couplers.

I assume you tightened it using two wrenches (one holding the coupler in place while the other tightened the compression nut. Also, what kind of pipe is it?

Now that I think of it... those compression fittings work with copper pipe, I don't think they will work with black poly (plastic) pipe. For that, you need a piece of copper pipe or barbed brass connector and two hose clamps. Make sense?
Old 01-06-10, 11:26 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PL-3020 3/8 In. O.D. Tube Union Connecto...
Store SKU # 1000132300

(This description copied from HD's site; this one's 3/8"--mine's 1". The one I have has ends that screw onto each end, unlike this one; it's similar to putting the lid on a jar.) Two HD men said, oh yes, it'll sit right in there; can't picture it either, but when two are so serious....gotta try it! White PVC. The 1" pipe was appx. 12" long; cut off "what you need" as if I could extend it "forever"; put 1/2 on one end and the other 1/2 on the other end; used wrenches, yes; did everything right. You gotta know I'm ready to do something that will work and take this stuff back to the brain that thinks he can make it work. It will be 12 degrees in Oklahoma tonight, wind chills below zero; you may or may not like to do this stuff in this weather where you are, but we're not "parka ready" by any means down%2

Last edited by Heyteach; 01-06-10 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Description of item incorrect.
Old 01-07-10, 12:34 AM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 92
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would go to a real pipe supply store and get 2 Dresser couplings. You use these to install a new section of pipe.
Dresser coupling, other pipe plumbing fittings.

Dresser Inc - Style 90 Insulated Restraining Coupling
Old 01-07-10, 08:33 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You will usually find stamped steel dresser couplings at BigBox. They have a flat rubber gasket inside. My expedience most of the time they just won't seal. A real American Dresser coupling is cast steel and has thick cone shaped gaskets. They do seal well.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: