washing machine/plumbing problem

Old 01-19-10, 01:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
washing machine/plumbing problem

I purchased a home where the washing machine emptied into a drywell. We have no idea exactly where it is located but we have a tremendous amount of wet grass outside our washroom door and I believe there is a problem with the drywell. Since we are going to replace the washing machine we want to address the drywell issue as well. Who do we call for this? A plumber could easily install the washing machine but what about the dry well? We have a new cesspool and don't want the water to empty into the cesspool. We live on Long Island, New York.

Old 01-19-10, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Most plumbers would do that as well... similar to a septic tank and drainage field.

Old 01-21-10, 07:35 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rsfrjf
I purchased a home where the washing machine emptied into a drywell. We have no idea exactly where it is located but we have a tremendous amount of wet grass outside our washroom door and I believe there is a problem with the drywell. Since we are going to replace the washing machine we want to address the drywell issue as well. Who do we call for this? A plumber could easily install the washing machine but what about the dry well? We have a new cesspool and don't want the water to empty into the cesspool. We live on Long Island, New York.
It would be good to determine the location of the drywell. That might take a little digging, but you want to be certain you are not near the cesspool (septic tank?).

You might want to check to see if the wet grass is caused by a break or blockage in the pipe to the drywell. Usually drywells are located away from the house. Its also possible that what they called a 'drywell' is just a PVC pipe with holes in it and could be filled with soil.

Yes most plumbers could do the job, but the problem is paying a plumber's hourly rate to dig the hole for the drywell and the line to it. Some larger firms might have lower paid people to do the shovel work, but they tend to have higher plumbing rates in our area.

When I've had drywells installed at one house to handle water runoff, I had a landscaping firm do it. When I was younger, I did it myself. It's not too hard if you don't mind using a shovel and have a good idea about the right place to locate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: