Sharkbite connector tightening

Old 01-30-10, 03:15 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharkbite connector tightening

Hi. My question is whether it is possible to tighten a sharkbite fitting which is threaded on one end and has the push fit on the other, while it is hooked in the water line? There is a slow oozing drip on the threaded end, would trying to snug this up a bit with a wrench mess up the push fit in the other end? Due to the confined space I'm working in it would be kind of a pain to take the whole thing apart again. By the way, when I put on this fitting(ie sharkbite female thread on male copper thread) I used teflon tape and then a wrench to tighten it down. I didn't want to tighten too hard so I wouldn't crack something, but I thought I made it pretty tight. If I have to take the thing apart what sould I use on the pipe threads, pipe dope, tape, or both, and how much should I tighten it? Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-10, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You can tighten it up and not jeopardize the slip end. Just not a lot. I think it will take the small amount you will be putting on it just to stop a leak on the threaded end. What did you seal the threaded end with, dope or teflon tape?

Old 01-30-10, 06:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I used a wrap of teflon tape when I put it on. The sharkbite package didn't have any advice on what to use with the threaded end. The male and female connection are both brass. I seem to remember someone, maybe my dad, telling me a long time ago that brass fittings were soft enough that if you threaded them together you didn't need tape. I know that the very old shutoff valves down in my cellar, which I have had to change washers on in the past, are brass threaded on brass and don't seem to have ever had any tape on them. I know they will often drip a bit when you rethread them, but an extra fraction of a turn with a wrench is often enough to stop it.

Old 01-30-10, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Usually 3 wraps of teflon tape is used to ensure a good seal. Just wanted to throw that in just in case you haven't fixed it yet.

Old 01-31-10, 01:26 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Always use at least 1-1/2 to 2 wraps of Teflon tape. I prefer to use a Teflon paste and that can also be used in conjunction with the tape. The paste isn't as clean as the tape alone but I find it works better than tape alone.

BTW, my dad also said that brass-to-brass would always seal without a sealing compound. He was wrong.