Pipes are banging when doing laundry/ dishwasher

Old 02-03-10, 11:47 PM
Pipes are banging when doing laundry/ dishwasher

My relatively new 7 year old home has a minor issue with the water. I think it has to do with either the water pressure or the way in which the plumber installed the cold and hot lines for the previous owner. It seems that when the clothes washer runs and the selonoids fire on and off that the pipes in the house create a loud thud that can be heard in the whole house. It appears that there are those air spring pressure tubes up in the joists and I can see where the wood is burnt a bit when they soldered the new lines in. Just not sure where to start on this one. THe home has a pressure valve but I need to turn it way down to get rid of the thud noise and this affects the pressure to my shower upstairs. Much help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 05:25 AM
Sometimes you can turn off water supply and drain the pipes, be sure to open all faucets. Then turn it back on, this will put air back in the risers. If this doesn't work, they make a mechanically hammer arrester that screws on supply valves to washing machine. Your lines will then attach to it. They work very well. Try draining line first, should work and free.

Old 02-09-10, 02:47 PM
Don't waste your time draining your system down without knowing if you have the home made hammer arresters, just add some to any selonoid valve you have in your system. Check your pressure at the same time, should be under 80lbs.

Old 02-14-10, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
Don't waste your time draining your system down without knowing if you have the home made hammer arresters, just add some to any selonoid valve you have in your system. Check your pressure at the same time, should be under 80lbs.
Pressure is 80lbs. The hammer arresters are installed and they have labels on them so they are store bought. I will drain the water and let you know.

Old 02-15-10, 02:08 PM
If you have 80lbs on your water system thats too high to run your system all the time due to the fact that water pressure increases depending on the time of the day. I would put in a PRV and a expansion tank on your water heater if you don't already have them. The high pressure will cause banging and more wear and tear on you pipes; should be run in the 60-70 lb. range.

Old 02-15-10, 02:40 PM
If you have 80lbs on your water system thats too high to run your system all the time due to the fact that water pressure increases depending on the time of the day. I would put in a PRV
I have a PRV but if i set it to 70 or lower then my upstairs shower is too low of volume. Besides I read that 65-90 PSI is normal for my area.

and a expansion tank on your water heater if you don't already have them. The high pressure will cause banging and more wear and tear on you pipes; should be run in the 60-70 lb. range.
I do not have a closed system so I do not see how an expansion tank will help.

Old 02-15-10, 04:44 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
If you have a pressure reducing valve then you DO have a closed system.

Old 02-15-10, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
If you have a pressure reducing valve then you DO have a closed system.
Oh nice. I will be taking this off then. thanks everyone.