Drymaster Sump Pump

Old 02-11-10, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drymaster Sump Pump

I've lived in my home for around seven years and have replaced my drymaster pump two times already and it's acting up again. It works for a while then it starts to work intermittently. At times I find my floor drains with water at the surface, an indiction the pump is not working.

When I go over to the pump it's hot and smells like it's burning up. If I tap the side of it it grinds a little but kicks on. In a short while this pump too will stop working all together.

Drymaster is a pump made in Michigan and can be purchased in Redford Drymaster Sumpless Pump Products. I've purchased two DM-4 models only to have them fail. I've called Drymaster but they can't help me. They just offer to rebuild the pump or sell me a new one. At $415.00 for a re-build motor I expect it to last more than a year and a half.

Does anyone have any advice as to what might be causing the pump to wear out so fast?
The pump does not operate continually so I don't believe it's because of constant use.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-10, 01:56 PM
Lack of water in the sump or contamination the can clog it are two possibilities.

Do you have buried drain tiles or a cheap surface trench ot plastic cove?

Dick

Old 02-11-10, 02:26 PM
Buried drain tiles to about a four to six inch pit. The limited space is why I have to install a drymaster type pump. When I removed the assembly I noted the water was a heavy orange/rusted color. The screen on the bottom of the suction line was not obstructed by debris though so I don't think it's from being clogged.

Old 02-11-10, 03:33 PM
Sump pump

You may have a build-up of the iron/rust in the pumps and intakes. This is probably from you ground water.

If you replace the sump with a normal size one,you could just use a cheaper throw away pump. Your sump is very small.

It is strange that the water is showing up at the floor drains. This could signify that the drain tiles are not deep enough or working and the sewer drains are not installed properly.

Do you have a check valve just on the beginning of the discharge line?

Dick

Old 02-11-10, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
You may have a build-up of the iron/rust in the pumps and intakes. This is probably from you ground water.

If you replace the sump with a normal size one,you could just use a cheaper throw away pump. Your sump is very small.

It is strange that the water is showing up at the floor drains. This could signify that the drain tiles are not deep enough or working and the sewer drains are not installed properly.

Do you have a check valve just on the beginning of the discharge line?

Dick
The only time I see water at the floor drains is when the pump is not working. A buildup of rust deposits sounds likely but I don't know if there's anything I can do about that.

I do have a check valve installed.

I might have to cut out a larger pit so I can install a cheap submersible pump rather than spending hundreds on the drymaster pump system.

I'm going to raise the unit up so that it's not so deep into the pit. Perhaps the water nearer the top will contain less iron deposits. Worth a shot I think.

Old 02-25-10, 03:07 PM
sump pump replacement

Kind of hard to determine the cause without knowing the size of the pump and size sump you currently have. I am sure you have investigated the discharge area, hoses and unit for back flo cut off. My recommendation is to look at other reliable brands and keep the current unit as a possible back up. It is strange that the manufacture of the current pump is unable to find you a solution unless you have something weird going on there.