small leak in cooper pipe

Old 02-13-10, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
small leak in cooper pipe

i have a small leak in my water pipe.

it looks like it is coming from a solder joint that attaches a "T" to the water line via a sleeve

do i need to cut the pipe and replace the T and sleeve or can i simply turn off the water and add solder the the existing leaking joint sleeve?

i have never soldered water pipes, im affraid if i add solder to the exisiting, i might heat the area too much and create other leaks

any help would be great
thanks

JC

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-10, 12:58 PM
There is very little chance of re-soldering a joint that has been in use for any length of time. If you don't know how to solder you might be better off using SharkBite fittings.

Old 02-14-10, 03:04 PM
i tried shark bites (great product) but there is not enough room between the floor and drywall ceiling. the leak is right next to the T joint and an elbow joint. id have to replace it with a T and elbow shark bite and there is not enough space

i just bought some "PC Plumbers" putty.....hopefully if will hold

thanks

JC

Old 02-15-10, 12:06 PM
PEX and Sharkbites

Hi- I don't want to step on anyones toes since I am not a plumber, but I have done many repairs of this type within the scope of my home repairs business. What I do is shut off the water-a very important first step that beginners forget,lol- and use a tubing cutter and remove the bad section. I know you siad you do not have room above the joint to fit a sharkbite, so just cut out a section where you do. Go to the big box store and get a piece of PEX tubing the same size as your copper. Existing copper-sharkbite-PEX tubing - sharkbite-existing copper. If you can not make the turn with the pex due to where it is located, simply buy a sharkbite elbow. the Pex will slide through the same hole that your copper does. It the tee needs to be replaced, then simply get a sharkbite tee. They are not cheap, but this is a permanent solution and you will not have to worry about it leaking again. It may cost a few bucks, but if you are a DIYer, you need to learn to do this kind of stuff anyhow,lol. The old saying about do it right the first time is ALWAYS the path when dealing with water or electric. Unlike your tv or fridge, they can both cause serious damage and that leads to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or maybe even endanger your family.

Old 02-15-10, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'd agree, sharkbite fittings are the way to go. Even if you have to remove a bit of drywall to get them to work. The plumbers putty and all those leak epoxies never seem to work for long. The ones that do work are generally just a temporary fix.

Worse case scenario, you'll need to get a plumber in for an hour. Not so bad...

Old 02-16-10, 06:36 AM
Call in a plumber and have the joint repaired correctly. If not, you may wake up one morning to find your home flooded.