Smell coming from filtered Handheld Showerhead

Old 02-15-10, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smell coming from filtered Handheld Showerhead

We have a handheld showerhead (plastice hose) in the downstairs bathroom. Lately whenever we first turn the shower on, there is this awful musty smell coming from the showerhead. It smells for a couple minutes and then stops after the water has run a bit. I've cleaned the showerhead itself, the replaced the filter cartridge many times. The smell does not come out of any of the other faucets, including that tub's faucet. Has anyone experience this issue? Previously we had a different type of hand-held shower head (without a filter) and never had this issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you have some sort of bacteria (or mildew/mold etc) in the hose or showerhead. You said you've cleaned the showerhead...what about the hose and the filter assy? How did you clean it? I'd recommend soaking everything in a bucket or similar with about a 10-20% beach/water solution. Let it soak for several hours at least. Make sure the entire hose and showerhead is filled.

Vinegar might also work..but it would need to be full strength..thus more expensive. Do not mix bleach and vinegar!

Old 02-15-10, 09:37 AM
Thanks so much, do you know . . .

if it makes a difference between having a metal hose vs. plastic hose, or if the filtered showerheads are more prone to smells? We do have well water. Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-15-10, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
The hoses are all plastic on the inside..I doubt it would matter.

Never had a filtered shower like that..can't say. But I would imagine well water would be more prone to those kind of issues. I've seen many posts talking about smelly water...and I don't think any involved municipal water...just wells.

Old 02-15-10, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If the filter is made up of carbon then I would suggest that you throw it away!
Carbon does a great job in filtering unwanted contaminants but can become hazardous.

Carbon needs the filter to be regularly flushed with water.
The problem arises when the filter traps bacteria and sits idle at room temperature which encourages bacteria and mold growth.
Carbon works best when used on something that has a more regular water flow and even better on something like a drinking water pitcher that is stored in the refrigerator.

Another possibility is that you have bacteria like rust bacteria developing in your hot water tank.

A way to check is to replace your shower head and see how it goes.

Old 02-15-10, 10:37 AM
Very interesting . . .

I will investigate what the filter is made of. Thanks for the info. The shower only gets used once a day since my daughter moved out, and come to think of it, it didn't start smelling until she moved out. So maybe a combination of the filter and the bacteria . . . interesting.

Old 02-15-10, 11:18 AM
Stinky Showerhead

just checked . . no carbon. some type of other technology KDF or KFD or something like that. Our water tank is 1.5 years old, shortly after replacing it my husband accidently left the water hose on outside and ran the well dry, then we got all this gritty water spitting out of the faucets, and he had to replace the bathtub thing that turns the water on/off. But the water doesn't smell anywhere else in the house. He did, though, recently have to clean out the bathtub drain because it was gunked all up and running slowly, perhaps something else should have been cleaned out too? Thanks for the input.

Old 02-22-10, 08:17 AM
Smell coming from filtered Handheld Showerhead- PROBLEM SOLVED

The company sent a new hose and metal attachment . . . as soon as my husband replaced the hose, the smell was gone. And the old hose smelled horrible. So, problem solved. Thanks everyone!

Old 02-22-10, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well...odds are it will return unless you make sure to drain the hose after use. Thats the problem if its the type that attaches up high then loops down and back up to the handheld. The water just sits in there. I'd just let it hang down when not in use.