Roof Vent Blockage

Old 02-15-10, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof Vent Blockage

How do you clean out the vents on your roof that vent the water/sewer lines . . . I think ours may have ice and/or leaves that are clogged up in the pipes that stick out of the roof. I want to unclog them, but don't want to end up clogging something else up in the process. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 01:46 PM
Question

There are no vents on the water lines that go thru the roof.

To clean out the sanitary/waste vents you have to climb on the roof and flush them out with a hose; not something to do if you are antsy about climbing on the roof.

Old 02-15-10, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
As Shacko stated, as long as you're okay climbing onto the roof (and the roof is able to be walked on safely), a hose should be able to clear the vents without a problem. The drain pipes get larger as they move downward through the house, so whatever is clogging the 2" vent should be forced down into the 3" drain below, etc. Regardless, if it's clogged, you're going to have to get it out sooner or later.

Old 02-16-10, 05:25 AM
Thanks so much . . .

I think they are called stack vents or something like that. Thanks for the info.I think we had ice in them after all the snow we've gotten, and then in the spring and summer leaves are always piling up . . . so we'll try the hose. Would one of those snake things work? Again, thanks.

Old 02-16-10, 06:33 AM
Earlier in the season, I encountered the same problem of ice/snow blocking my vent pipes (no leaves in my case). Got so bad that sewer gases were very noticeable inside the house. While it wasn't fun, I did end up going up on the roof and clearing the pipes just by removing the ice/snow around them. I've since installed a clean-out 'wye' on the pipe up in the attic area which should help with this problem should it return, as i have no desire to go back up on our roof - especially during the winter. In addition, I insulated the pipe in the unheated portion of the house, and since the original problem, I've not noticed any more issues and we've received a bunch more snow and cold temps. Good luck and be safe!

Old 02-16-10, 09:34 AM
Thanks so much

Thanks for the info and for all the help. To prevent future issues, I'm looking around to see if anyplace sells some type of caps that allow air flow but block out precipitation and debris, but not alot of luck, as I don't want to try to fix one problem but create a worse problem in the long run (which is what I usually do). I do appreciate the help!!!!

Old 02-16-10, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
CharlotteAnn, not sure of your location (no profile), but I have noticed on a couple of subdivisions locally the contractors have installed (not glued, but friction fit) 2" and 3" (respectively) pvc elbows on the vents. It would keep out directly falling rain/snow/sleet and may even discourage falling leaves. May work, not sure. I'll have to ask.