Need help with strange shower valve


Old 02-16-10, 09:25 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Need help with strange shower valve

Hi all -

I have a steam shower that has no hot water pressure. I strongly suspect the problem was caused by little plastic bits in the water supply caused by a defective cold water return in the hot water heater. I replaced the heater, but I think little bits are clogging the valve.

So, I turned off the water, pulled off the handle, and removed the outer sleeve that secured the assembly to the back of the shower. Below that I saw this type of cartridge:
Faucet Cartridge for Replacement A06 | Water Faucet Mixer Taps

The problem is that I can't figure out how to get it out. It is secured by a chrome dome shaped part with male threads at the back (used for the outer sleeve). How do I get this piece off? Pipe wrench with a cloth? Turn clockwise or counterclockwise? Is there another way?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-10, 09:43 AM
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 994
My faucets came with instructions for removing/replacing the cartridge. Do you have the instructions for yours? If not, you can probably find them online.
Old 02-16-10, 10:12 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Nope - no manual - this is a Chinese steam shower with very poor documentation.
Old 02-16-10, 02:58 PM
shacko's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Baltimore County Maryland
Posts: 2,138

It would have been better if you posted a picture of the problem faucet instead of what may be the cartridge.
Old 02-16-10, 03:39 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Good idea! Photos attached.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes