connecting to clay tile sewer line

Old 02-20-10, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
connecting to clay tile sewer line

I want to connect a new bathroom drain to an existing undeground clay pipe. Before doing that I want to confirm that it is in good condition. Has anyone installed a liner inside a clay pipe? I heard this is possible and would protect me in case of future pipe failure.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-10, 07:46 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Liner

Will the liner protect the pipe from tree root intrusion? Waiting 180 seconds.....................................

Old 02-20-10, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What Wirepuller said. Having grown up with clay sewer lines I'd replace it with PVC or cast iron.

Old 02-22-10, 05:27 AM
The line that I want to connect to runs down the center of the basement. It is connected to the kitchen sink only now with no apparent issues. I don't fear roots on this 20' length but I wanted to install a liner for future issues if it it easily done while I have the concrete busted up. I just don't know what liner options I have open to me.

Old 02-22-10, 02:15 PM
Question

Are you sure that is a sanitary line? when I was installing them years ago they were not allowed inside dwellings, exterior only, clay pipe was used on ground water.

If that is legal the idea of installing a liner would cost a fortune, you would need to have it video taped before starting.

Old 02-24-10, 06:45 PM
This house was built in 1925 and has clay tile all the way to the main in the street. Only the vent pipe is cast iron. I planned to have the video camera on site while installing the liner or to verify its integrity if I don't install the liner.