Washer Drain to Existing Basement BR Plumbing

Old 02-20-10, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer Drain to Existing Basement BR Plumbing

Hey there. I have been trying to figure out a solution to my problem. Currently, my washer drains into the sink next to it. But it's a dual basin sink so the one side it fills into, fills too quickly. We can only use the washer at its lowest water level or it overflows.

Right next to my washer is the wall of my basement bathroom. I was wondering if I can tap into the PVC drain pipes from that plumbing and install a "Y" or "T" that I can drop the washer drain pipe into.

Below is a photo of the plumbing and some labels so you know what is what. Any guidance as to whether this is possible and/or ok to do would be appreciated. I marked 2 dotted lines where I think I could cut the PVC pipes and rework a different setup.

Also on a side note, is there a reason the installer used black PVC pipe? I haven't seen that before.

Thanks!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-10, 12:05 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
First off, black plastic pipe DWV (drainage, waste and vent, i.e.sewer) is ABS, not PVC. The two different materials should not be mixed as each has a specific solvent-weld glue.

Second, do you have to step up into the basement shower? It would appear so from the height of the pipe you noted as the shower drain.

Third, the sink drain is not legal as it has no vent.

I know it is a lot of work but if you could pull the washing machine out and take some more pictures of the drain piping I might be able to find something good and also have a suggestion for the washing machine drain.

Old 02-20-10, 12:50 PM
Hey Furd, thanks for the reply. You had actually helped me out when I broached this topic back in 2008.

I just recently had the idea of running it to the PVC there and thought I would ask. BTW.. yes I do have to step up to the shower in the basement.

Here is the rest of the pipe heading to the main drain:

But I think the link above to the 2008 thread will give you a better idea of whats behind the Washer.

Thanks again,

Dave

Old 02-20-10, 03:39 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that you did not try any of the suggestions made back in 2008?

That's all I have.

Old 02-20-10, 03:47 PM
Smile

Your best bet is to tie into the main line by the wash machine. Run a 4x2iin. combination, come out of the branch with a 2in. combination, out of the 2in. branch add a p-trap, out of the top of the 2in. run a vent that has to connect to the main vent 6in. above the flood rim of the highest fixture connected to it; while you are at it you should run vents on you lav and shower and tie everything all together.

Old 02-23-10, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys... Furd, I hadn't tried any of the suggestions in the previous thread (got side tracked). I had realized that I really never brought up the possibility of running the pipe to the basement bathroom pipes. So I thought I would ask separately to not confuse the situation.

But now re-reading the thread, it seems that PlumbingGods was suggesting possibly cutting and caping that dual copper pipe that comes up behind the washer and dropping the drain hose into it. I need to re-read it a few times and see what was suggested again.

shacko, thanks for the response. but you kinda lost me there. I was following you but then... nope... lost it at "run a vent that has to connect to the main vent 6in. above the flood rim of the highest fixture connected to it" How would I connect into the main vent? Do you mean the cast iron vert column of pipes? Yikes... To be honest, I'm not sure I really want to tap into that main line myself.

I was really hoping to be able to use this contraption behind my washer to drain into. I think this is what plumbinggods was referring to in my other thread from 2008.

Anyway. Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Old 02-23-10, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by fishnyc22 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys... Furd, I hadn't tried any of the suggestions in the previous thread (got side tracked). I had realized that I really never brought up the possibility of running the pipe to the basement bathroom pipes. So I thought I would ask separately to not confuse the situation.

But now re-reading the thread, it seems that PlumbingGods was suggesting possibly cutting and caping that dual copper pipe that comes up behind the washer and dropping the drain hose into it. I need to re-read it a few times and see what was suggested again.

shacko, thanks for the response. but you kinda lost me there. I was following you but then... nope... lost it at "run a vent that has to connect to the main vent 6in. above the flood rim of the highest fixture connected to it" How would I connect into the main vent? Do you mean the cast iron vert column of pipes? Yikes... To be honest, I'm not sure I really want to tap into that main line myself.

I was really hoping to be able to use this contraption behind my washer to drain into. I think this is what plumbinggods was referring to in my other thread from 2008.

Anyway. Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.
You can't just drop your wash maching into those pipes. you stll need a trap, stand pipe and VENT if you hook it up there.

Running the vent up just means that you have to tie into a DRY section of an existing pipe that heads out the roof.