Tank to Bowl Gasket

Old 02-22-10, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tank to Bowl Gasket

I have a 91 year old house and with that comes old toilets and fixtures. I don't think my toilet (a Briggs) is that old but I cannot find a tank to bowl gasket that fits this toilet. I removed the old one (there was a leak at the bolts) and it has a curved taper to it and all the ones that I see at Home Depot, Lowes or other places have a straight taper. I tried the ones with the straight taper but water seems to be leaking around the gasket.

I'm certainly not a plumber but this one seems it should be really easy. I cannot find a tank to bowl gasket that looks like the one I removed. It's a standard size (2.125" inches) but it doesn't have a taper like other gaskets.

Any guidance or help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 02:02 PM
Question

If you have the old gasket take it to a plumbing supply and show them what you need, if you have bolts with washers on them replace at the same time.

Old 02-22-10, 05:37 PM
Thanks Shacko but I've tried that and they did not have any gasket that looked like the one I removed. I brought the gasket to Home Depot, a smaller local hardware store and a larger plumbing supply shop.

I was hoping that there was something that I was just not doing correctly and that the leaking was due to some trick or knowledge of plumbing that I don't know. I'm still hopeful.

Old 02-23-10, 02:43 PM
Question

Since your original post said there was a leak aroung the bolts are you sure that is not the leak you have now?, most of the time when you have a leak at the tank both the bowl gasket and the tank washers should be replaced at the same time.

Old 02-24-10, 11:16 AM
True, and I'll take another look but I don't think so. I replaced the brass bolts with new rubber washers, etc. and I don't see leaks around those bolts. I only see the water coming from under the tank to bowl gasket. I really think it just fits poorly but would love the experience of someone else to tell me differently. :-)

Originally Posted by shacko View Post
Since your original post said there was a leak aroung the bolts are you sure that is not the leak you have now?, most of the time when you have a leak at the tank both the bowl gasket and the tank washers should be replaced at the same time.