Weird, Almost Aquarium Like Smell in Bathroom

Old 02-22-10, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird, Almost Aquarium Like Smell in Bathroom

Hey folks, really hoping someone can help me out with this:

My lady chum and I have noticed a really odd smell coming from the bathroom in the last few days. I couldn't quite place it and then it hit me- it smells somewhat like my old turtle's tank when it was desperately in need of a cleaning. Musty, stale, very aquarium like, etc. Like something sweet has rotted, etc. Not the world's most offensive odor, but clearly not one you want lingering, either. The turtle is gone several years now (RIP, Stu) but somehow the scent has returned, magically.

The smell seemed to be all over the apartment, but we traced it to the bathroom and then more specifically, the shower. Oddly enough, to me it seemed like the shower head was emitting the smell, rather than the drain. It's one of those removable shower heads, the kind with a plastic hose attached. I know shower heads can get gross over time, but I've never known one to emit a smell like this before. And frankly I'm not even sure it IS the shower head, at this point my nose and brain may be playing tricks on me. But to me it does seem like the smell is strongest in the shower.

One interesting note is that when I woke up this morning, I sniffed the shower head (I made sure no one was looking first) and it smelled okay. So either I just got too used to the smell to notice it, or the smell goes away when the shower's not in use, etc.

I know this post has been extremely vague, but does anyone out there have any idea what this may be? The smell is driving my girlfriend insane and I'd love to able to solve the mystery once and for all. Believe me, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 05:02 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
We just had a similar post where the smell was traced to the hose on the hand-held shower. It may be in the faucet, tub, shower, toilet forum.

Here it is. http://forum.doityourself.com/plumbi...howerhead.html

Old 02-22-10, 05:10 PM
Well this is a great start, thank you very much.

Old 03-02-10, 02:48 PM
Is is a shower stall? Does it have a tub? How old is it? Is there an insert or is it tiel an morter floor?