Basement Plumbing For Bathroom

Old 02-23-10, 09:41 AM
Smile Basement Plumbing For Bathroom

Hi, I'm just getting started with a basement project that includes installing a bathroom. When the house was built back in 2001, they pre-installed all of the piping, etc. for a wet bar. I don't plan on putting in a wet bar, but would like to use the existing pre-installed plumbing for a basement bathroom (sink, shower, toilet). I've been reading several books and have been all over online and have a rough idea of what all is required to set up the bathroom.

I'm in no hurry to finish this basement, and since I'm a rookie at home remodeling, I want to make sure I have 100% understanding of what I'm working with and what is required before completing any work. And, if I just can't grasp it, I will hire out and have someone complete this plumbing portion for me.

With this said, I wanted to attach a few pictures that I took and see if anybody could provide some insight as to what each of the pipes are in my basement. And, it may not even be possible from just looking at a picture, but figured it was worth a try.

Image 1: This shows 2 of the pipes.

Image 2: ???

Image 3: Another location of a pipe

Image 4: Gives you a view of all 4

Image 5: This shows you the area where I'd like to relocate the plumbing in the far corner kind of where you see the hammer drill.

As you can tell from my comments on each picture, I really am a complete newb to plumbing, so I have a lot of research to do still. If anyone can offer any help as to where I should start based on my pictures, I'd really appreciate it. Also, will I likely need to dig up the basement floor to relocate some of the plumbing to the other side of the room?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 02:11 PM
Question

From the lay-out of the existing plumbing that was a bath rough-in.

For you to get the plumbing over to the area you want it you will have to break up most of the concrete and find the main run which should be in line with the clean-out showing thru the floor.

To start you need to lay out your bathroom in the new space, exactly.

Check your ceiling and look for a 2in capped off pipe sticking down, if you are lucky that is a vent for the roughed-in bath, if not you will have to run a vent up and make a tie-in to an existing vent. That should give you enough to think about, luck

Old 02-23-10, 06:18 PM
Follow-Up

Thanks Shacko, I appreciate you taking the time to answer a few of my questions. I do have a couple follow-up questions with regards to a couple of the images and comments you have made. In image 2, what is filled in that hole, and what is likely below it? I haven't seen anything like that in any of the books I've been looking at, so I'm just confused as to what Image 2 shows.

Secondly, you mentioned looking for a capped off 2in pipe. Does it have to be coming from the ceiling, because in image 1, that pipe sticking up from the ground is capped off. So, I wasn't sure if this was possibly what you are referring to? If not, there isn't anything in the ceiling after going down there and taking a look.

In picture #1, the hole in the ground, is the the stump-in for the toilet? Also, in picture #3, what would this pipe in the floor be?

Thanks again for your help. After these questions, I will start my slow planning process and see what I can do about configuring the bathroom and planning the tear up process to move the pipes.

Ryan

Old 02-23-10, 07:01 PM
The 2-inch pipe coming from the floor in picture 1 is indeed the vent but it needs to continue to the roof. Since there could also be revents from the washbasin connecting to the vent between the floor and the roof there would most likely be a capped off 2-inch in the overhead that does continue to the roof, or at least to above the flood plain of any other fixtures connected to the main stack.

The pipe in the floor in picture 3 appears to be a clean-out fitting. Depending on how the pipes are connected underground it is possible that this could be converted to a toilet connection.

Old 02-24-10, 02:42 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by glicksta721 View Post
Thanks Shacko, I appreciate you taking the time to answer a few of my questions. I do have a couple follow-up questions with regards to a couple of the images and comments you have made. In image 2, what is filled in that hole, and what is likely below it? I haven't seen anything like that in any of the books I've been looking at, so I'm just confused as to what Image 2 shows.

Secondly, you mentioned looking for a capped off 2in pipe. Does it have to be coming from the ceiling, because in image 1, that pipe sticking up from the ground is capped off. So, I wasn't sure if this was possibly what you are referring to? If not, there isn't anything in the ceiling after going down there and taking a look.

In picture #1, the hole in the ground, is the the stump-in for the toilet? Also, in picture #3, what would this pipe in the floor be?

Thanks again for your help. After these questions, I will start my slow planning process and see what I can do about configuring the bathroom and planning the tear up process to move the pipes.

Ryan
In image 2 that is probably a rough-in for a bathtub, that insulation? in the floor was put there to leave room to hook up the tub, there should be a trap down there, since you are not using it you have to dig it out and make sure the pipe is capped off.

I was refering to a 2in. capped off vent pipe in the ceiling, when I was doing future rough-ins I always left one there to make it easier to hook up the plumbing in the future bath. Sorry to say but, most plumbers didn't do it, that means that you have to run a vent and tie it into the existing system.

That pipe in picture #1 is probably the toilet stub, that also will need to be capped off.

That pipe in picture #3 is probably a clean out on the main run underground, the only thing you have to do with is to change the plug and put in one thats not a tripping hazard, have fun.

Old 02-25-10, 01:05 PM
Thank you

Thank you both for your help! I really appreciate you taking time to give me some pointers. We'll see how this process goes over the next few months.

Ryan