Toilet Angle Stop Won't Stop Leaking

Old 02-27-10, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Angle Stop Won't Stop Leaking

I got my new Toto toilet installed (best $450 I've ever spent on my house), bought a new angle stop valve and hose, and all was good for about 3 days.

Then it started seeping, very slowly, and developed into a drip every 5 seconds. I'm at my wits end, I've tried absolutely everything. I tried a new angle stop valve (one of the fancy $8 90 degree ones), lots of teflon, not very much teflon, medium teflon. I've gotten it down to one drip every 10-15s. My plumbing (and nipple) are copper.

This problem is particularly frustrating since I have a tile floor and the drips collect in the wide grout line and it forms a small puddle at the low spot, about 2 feet away, right where your pants drop to the floor.

My only other idea is to try that thread compound they frequently use with screw connections on sprinkler pipes. Any other ideas? This is driving me crazy.

Stephen, soaked in SoCal.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 10:38 AM
stephenmeade,

Welcome to the forums.

When you say that your plumbing AND the nipple are copper, are you dealing with a compression conncetion between the nipple and the angle stop? If so, remove ALL of the teflon tape. It's preventing the compression nut from properly tightening on the ferrule.

Old 02-27-10, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Also...make sure its dripping from the connection...not the packing nut around the stem. I've had to tighten a few new ones when they leaked.....

Old 02-27-10, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I checked and it's a compression fitting for the supply hose, but not for the valve-nipple connection. It's just a threaded end of pipe and the valve screws on. No compression nut.

I verified it's definitely seeping around the threads on the wall nipple so I know it's the angle-stop to nipple connection that's leaking.

Am I just not tightening it up enough? I've got a container of the RectorSeal T Plus 2 thread sealant. It says it's good on brass and copper (I normally use it for irrigation on PVC), too.

Old 02-28-10, 11:14 AM
Use the RectorSeal for the nipple-to-valve connection. I alsways let it cure for a while (about 1/2 hour) before turning the water back on.

Old 03-01-10, 11:12 AM
Tape and Dope it. you can't go wrong. Give it like 4 wraps of teflon then coat it with pipe dope.