Lead inside toilet drain pipe

Old 02-27-10, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lead inside toilet drain pipe

Hey everyone,I pulled up the toilet in the bathroom and found lead lined pipe in the waste drain. It seems as though the lead comes out and overlaps on top of the flange. I'm not sure how to install an extension on top of the existing flange because the lead is in the way. I need to install an extension because I am putting down another course of 3/4 inch plywood, 1/4 inch backerboard and 3/8 inch slate. Can I just trim the lead off the top of the flange and screw down a new flange to the floor or will it possibly leak because now there is no seal between the lead and the wax ring?Or should I call a plumber?ThanxJim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 02:49 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jmnew51 View Post
Hey everyone,I pulled up the toilet in the bathroom and found lead lined pipe in the waste drain. It seems as though the lead comes out and overlaps on top of the flange. I'm not sure how to install an extension on top of the existing flange because the lead is in the way. I need to install an extension because I am putting down another course of 3/4 inch plywood, 1/4 inch backerboard and 3/8 inch slate. Can I just trim the lead off the top of the flange and screw down a new flange to the floor or will it possibly leak because now there is no seal between the lead and the wax ring?Or should I call a plumber?ThanxJim
You can't trim off the lead without the flange leaking.

With the amount that you want to raise the flange I don't think that you will have enough pipe to install another flange.

Do you have access to the underneath of the pipe?, I think that you are going to need to replace the lead pipe.

If you decide to use a plumber make sure he has experience with lead pipe; most don't have a clue since its been so long since anyone used it, luck.

Old 02-27-10, 03:17 PM
Thanx for the reply.You're right I do not have enough pipe to install more flange.I think I am going to call a plumber.Jim