Kitchen Sink Drain is to high (need help buying pump)

Old 02-27-10, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Sink Drain is to high (need help buying pump)

Hi all, the problem we have is that the tee in the wall is higher than the kitchen sink drain so obviously because of that it doesn't drain properly ( our plumber was off buy about 2-3 inches when he ran the plumbing in the wall). We can't lower the tee in the wall because the plumbing runs horizontally and it would just be to much of an expense at this point to rip up the walls as cabinetry has already been installed and at this point to be honest we just can't deal with anymore construction. We were advised to install a pump under the kitchen sink to pump the water up to the tee in the wall, which seems like the easiest and less stressful way to go at this point. I went to a local plumbing supplier and they acted as if they never heard of a pump before so I wanted to ask you guys for advice. Do you know of a good quality, quite pump that would be a good option for our kitchen sink drain. We are not looking for the cheapest option out there, just something that is quiet and good quality that won't give us any problems. Let me know guys, links would also be helpful, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 01:33 PM
Thumbs down

I hate to bust your bubble, but what you propose could turn into a nightmare and you will end up changing the drain anyway, sorry.

Old 02-28-10, 06:26 PM
Don't respond if you don't know plumbing

What are you talking about man, obviously you don't know much about plumbing because this is not that uncommon of a thing. I had 3 plumbers come in and tell me the exact same thing, that the pump is the only way to go. It is a condo and the drain does not run vertically so it can't be lowered. In cases where this happens the only option is to install a pump (and the easiest option), not sure why you think having one would be a nightmare, it's super easy to install. I have seen kitchen sinks with pumps before and even have one on my a.c. drain because it is to high also. Please only respond with recommendations for a pump, thank you.

Old 03-01-10, 11:07 AM
What you want to do is certainly feasible. When I built an art studio in the basement for my wife, she wanted a laundry sink for washing brushes and etc. But the sink drain was above the level of the sewer pipe, which was hung on the wall (a retrofit from septic). I went to one of the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, don't remember) and got a Flojet kit. It included a plastic tank with internal pump, fittings, and everything to get it going.