Rerouting a vent pipe

Old 02-27-10, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rerouting a vent pipe

We would like to recess our medicine cabinet. In the line of fire is a vent pipe as well as a wall stud on each end of the medicine cabinet. Can the vent pipe be diverted and what can we do with the wall studs which also appear to be in the way?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 01:19 PM
Smile

If that is a vent pipe you can do what you want with it, just use the least amount of fittings to change it.

With your studs; and I assume thats not a bearing wall you can box it out to where you need it.

Old 03-06-10, 10:40 PM
Rerouting a vent pipe

I'll be cutting out a 3' section of cast iron vertical vent pipe. Having never done this before, a couple of questions: 1) Once the vent pipe is cut, should there be anything anchoring the pipe at the roof line where the pipe exits the interior attic space or will the pipe want to drop down? 2) What's the best tool for cutting through the cast iron vent pipe?

Old 03-07-10, 12:12 PM
Question

I doubt there is anything holding that pipe, if you are concerned about it falling you can put a split-ring hanger on it above the cut line.

Cutting the pipe is a little more complicated assuming you have limited space. If you own a Sawzall you can get a blade thats made for cast iron, the hard part will be if you don't have enough room.

I would run your offset in pvc

Old 03-07-10, 01:16 PM
Rerouting a vent pipe

Upon further investigation, this cast iron, 3" diameter "vent" pipe's run begins in the crawlspace, approximately 4' to the right of the toilet; is this pipe the main stack? On the opposite end of the house, where the 1/2 bathroom is located, is one which looks identical; is this a secondary stack? Is it true that these pipes MUST remain vertical to prevent the backing up of sewer gases and I would be breaking code as well as creating a dangerous, unhealthy situation by cutting/re-routing?

Old 03-07-10, 04:22 PM
Re-routing vent pipe

Upon further investigation, this cast iron, 3" diameter "vent" pipe's run begins in the crawlspace, approximately 4' to the right of the toilet; is this pipe the main stack? On the opposite end of the house, where the 1/2 bathroom is located, is one which looks identical; is this a secondary stack? The house was built in 1959. Each plumbing device has it's own vent pipe/main stack. The pipe I want to re-route has an inspection sticker on it. Is it true that these pipes MUST remain vertical to prevent the backing up of sewer gases and I would be breaking code as well as creating a dangerous, unhealthy situation by cutting/re-routing?

Old 03-08-10, 02:20 PM
Even if it is a stack you can still off-set it, just use the least angles to do it.

Old 03-08-10, 06:01 PM
Re-routing vent pipe/main stack

Awesome, that's great news. Cutting the stack 6" below the recessed cutout results in the least amount of angles for the offset at 4, all 90 elbows; will that work?

Old 03-08-10, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you can go farther above and below it, you can use four 45 degree fittings, which would keep it closer to vertical.