cold and hot water copper piping

Old 02-27-10, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cold and hot water copper piping

i am running hot and cold water to a detached cottage in my lot and wonder how close they can run together so that the hot pipe doesnt make the cold pipe warmer and viceversa. Or just putting insulation around the hot one would prevent it?. the pipes go underground from the main house to the cottage which is about 60 feet apart but then run inside the garage for around 20 feet before getting into the cottage side of the building. When they go underground is it ok if they run one next to the other? When in the garage, should i put insulation on the hot one?

Finally, i need to run drain pipe as well underground to the main house. What are the reasonable depths i should run the drain pipe and the copper pipes? i believe they need to be in different hight levels, but not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's the answer that you don't want to hear. You have got to go through the permit process for this project.

Not because you might "get caught" but because you need local experts to draft and inspect this project in set phases so that you will know what you're doing and you can have piece of mind both during and after. That's what you're paying for when you get a permit. If you do the work yourself you'll still save a ton of money.

You're talking about underground supply pipe and adding to your homes drain.

To answer the question, the out building will need its own water heater that uses a single incoming water supply. You can't run hot water underground. And you'll at least need to determine your frost line to run any water pipe thats connected to you homes supply underground.