Icemaker copper line

Old 02-28-10, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Icemaker copper line

Hi,
I need to disconnect my copper line, rearrange it in the basement, and then reconnect it. I am wondering which piece I should disconnect. There is a nut connecting to a shutoff valve, a long silver pipe, another nut, a smaller nut, and another nut connecting to the copper. This is from top to bottom, I am assuming I should disconnect the bottom nut from the copper, is that a compression valve? Is it reusable if i disconnect it?

I would attach a picture, but for some reason it says below that I am not allowed.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 12:48 PM
Question

A picture would help a lot, you have to use something like PhotoBucket.

Old 02-28-10, 01:02 PM
Old 02-28-10, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It appears to be a 3/8" supply vave with a 1/4" adapter. Just disconnect at the 1/4" nut at the bottom.

Old 02-28-10, 01:17 PM
Hi Ray,
I see 4 nuts starting from the top, the silver one, the silver rod, then nuts 2, 3, 4 then the copper pipe. When you say the bottom nut, do you mean the bottom part of the silver rod? If I have to disconnect the nut connecting to the copper tube due to not fitting in the hole, is that difficult to put back on?

Thanks in advance, plumbing makes me a bit nervous.

Old 02-28-10, 01:25 PM
Smile

If you don't bend up the tube it should go right back on, make sure you turn the water off.

Old 02-28-10, 02:04 PM
Ok, I disconnected the bottom nut and copper tube from the assembly, what holds that nut on the copper tube? I have tried to twist it off and pull it off to no avail. I will not be able to snake the tube through the hole without taking that nut off.

Old 02-28-10, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have a brass band? Then that is a compression coupling. You can buy new compression rings. Just cut the tubing below the compression ring as close to it as you can. When you connect it back up use a new compression ring.

Old 02-28-10, 02:55 PM
Recently I finished the plumbing to my basement bar sink. Part of that was also running the line to the fridges icemaker which sets next to the bar. I hooked up the new copper line looping it high behind the fridge so that it could be pulled out easily. I even left the fridge pulled out overnight to make sure that there were no leaks. The next day all was dry so I pushed the fridge into place. Well about an hour later my son went downstairs & said that the floor was all wet around the fridge. Made a pretty big mess but it would have been possible for it to have gone unnoticed for days. Somehow when I pushed the fridge back I twisted the fitting & loosened it. I threw the new copper in the recycling & bought a braided hose. I will never use copper on a fridge again.