stuck compression ring/supply valve

Old 03-01-10, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stuck compression ring/supply valve

Hi all,

I messed up trying to replace a leaky supply valve on my toilet. I turned the whole thing several times before I realized it wasn't a threaded fitting, but a compression fitting. So I grabbed another wrench, held the valve still and was able to remove it. But the compression ring is stuck on the pipe.

I took a chance and put the new valve on the old compression ring and it leaks a little. Not nearly as bad as before (and not from the same place as far as I can tell), but it does leak.

I'll try again tomorrow, but can anyone give me any tips for removing that part? I can't seem to find a way to get any leverage on it and don't want to force it any more than I already have.

Thanks,
Warren

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-10, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
I've heard they make a tool for that..but have never used or seen one. I have carefully used a model builders hacksaw to cut a groove in the ring and then split it to remove it. Thats only happened a few times..guess I was lucky and able to reuse the old rings and nuts most times.

You have to understand that when the valve is first installed, that ring is actually compressed into the surface of the pipe. On copper its pretty much impossible to remove without cutting or the special tool I mentioned. On plastics you might be able to get it off..but there will probably still be a depressed "ring" around the tube. You would need to trim back a bit so that the new ring doesn't sit in the same place.

Old 03-02-10, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I've heard they make a tool for that..but have never used or seen one. I have carefully used a model builders hacksaw to cut a groove in the ring and then split it to remove it. Thats only happened a few times..guess I was lucky and able to reuse the old rings and nuts most times.
Thanks! It leaks very slowly now (less than a teaspoon in six hours) and I didn't use any teflon tape when I installed it. Since it's such a slow leak, a friend at work thinks that might solve it, so I'll try take it apart and use some teflon tape tonight and report back one way or the other. If it STILL leaks after that, I'll take it to the next level and see if there's a way I can remove the old ring.

Warren

Old 03-02-10, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Teflon tape is not used on compression fittings. Now..I have seen where some folks will put a very small amount of liquid teflon tape or pipe sealant (NOT pipe dope!!!) on the mating surfaces of compression fittings..but I've never had to. I've even heard of folks putting a bit of plumbers grease on the valve/nut to make sure it threads on easy...I just spit on it...lol!

The main thing is ensuring the pipe/tubing is fully seated and the mating surfaces are clean and that you tighten it fully.

If these don't work..its time for more stringent measures.

Old 03-02-10, 04:35 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi , Remove the angle stop clean the ferrel and the valve where the ferrel seats. Replace the valve and use two wrenches to tighten the angle stop.
I have a tool to remove the ferrel when all else fails. I am always surpised how easy they come off and leave no damage or marks on the pipe.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-02-10, 06:26 PM
dang, okay now I'm confused. My friend is not a pro, but has done a lot of DIY around his house. I will think about that before I go there. I think I will try giving it another eighth to a quarter turn before I tear it down and start over. I might even call my dad! (retired contractor)

Thanks for the replies!
Warren