Toilet floor bolt is loose

Old 03-03-10, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet floor bolt is loose

One of the floor bolts on my toilet is loose and needs to be tightened. I am assuming the cap needs to be removed to get to the bolt. Is that correct? It seems hard to get it off so I just wanted to make sure you need to remove it.
I tried to tighten it with the cap on, but it just turns.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-10, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Yes..the cap needs to be removed. They snap onto another piece that is UNDER the nut..so use a bit of care and just the tip of a screwdriver under the edge. Most have a little slot somewhere....

Old 03-03-10, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Older caps, especially ceramic ones, were just filled with plumber's putty and pushed over the stud. Over time the plumber's putty can harden making them difficult to remove. Honestly I would use as much force as necessary being sure if something broke it was the caps. Caps are cheap. As last resort I would intentionally break the cap.

My guess is you will find the stud rusted off or the flange broken. That will mean removing the toilet.

Old 03-08-10, 03:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Simply remove the small plastic bolt caps at the base of your toilet (they will be on each side, and can be pried off with a small screwdriver). You’ll see a nut, and it should be unmovable with your fingers. If either of these nuts is moving, tighten them down with a socket wrench.