kinked cold supply line

Old 03-06-10, 02:19 PM
Thumbs down kinked cold supply line

I just discovered that a cold water line (3/4", I think...didn't check) coming from under our house into the wet wall between our two bathrooms is kinked. The house was built in 1959...I bet it was like that from the get go. Kind of hard to see in this picture, but here it is:

Question is, how much could this be contributing to our low shower water volume (I'm sure this line feeds both of our bathrooms' lavatories, toilets and showers...beyond that, I can't see)?

Then, I'm assuming that I can just cut out a piece of the sill around it to cut it and repair it.

thanks,
Maurice

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you access it from beneath? It would be better to replace all the wet wall plumbing with CPVC while you have it opened up. Depending on the amount of sand you have had running in the pipes since 1959, the walls could be thinning out a little, and may require replacement eventually, anyway. What you have looks like a "plumber's" bend, done in the field to facilitate installation of the other pipes and to keep him from having to install 2 45 degree elbows.
Replacing the pipes is my option, others may have better solutions for you.

Old 03-06-10, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Can you access it from beneath?
Nah, it's a slab foundation.

I suppose I could hire a plumber to replace the piping, but we're really only trying to get this house ready to sell. That's probably more than my budget will allow. Come to think of it, fixing the kink is probably more than I need to do, but it bugs me to leave it that way.

Old 03-07-10, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The kink is in hard copper, so it isn't repairable by trying to round it out. Your low water flow could be due to newer mandated low flow shower heads, moreso than with the kink. If it isn't leaking, I'd leave well enough alone for now.

Old 03-08-10, 09:04 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
If it isn't leaking, I'd leave well enough alone for now.
Done deal...I'll leave it be. Thanks for your candor.