Is 100lb Propane Tank Enough?

Old 03-08-10, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is 100lb Propane Tank Enough?

I have a gas stove which has been converted for LP with black iron installed inside the house for it and copper on the outside (1/2"). I will eventually have a gas dryer and a hookup for my BBQ grill attached to this system also. I do not want to go through the propane companies and am curious if a 100lb tank will be enough for this job. Will it produce enough BTUs for each?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
If you don't want to go through propane companies, how are you going to get your gas? Just keep exchanging 100# cylinders? That will get old very fast. I would just get a small upright tank (60-250 gal) and have it filled as needed.

Old 03-08-10, 12:17 PM
I would get it filled same as a 20lber, at the local HW store. When researching i found that all local propane companies had a tank rental fee for nearly the cost to purchase a 100lb tank. And charged an installation fee on top of that. Their price per gallon was no discount either. i figured it was easier to purchase and install and have it filled as needed.

Old 03-08-10, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
I'm wondering how you'll transport an almost 400lb full tank? Sure won't be easy...

I think I'd go with a bigger tank as well. Yeah I've noticed the cost at propane suppliers (vs the gas station that refills, or the RV place) is higher...they have to pay the driver, insurance, fuel costs etc. Always wondered why the trucks aren't all propane powered...lol?

Old 03-08-10, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Maybe you could mount the tank in a small dedicated trailer. No handling the tank. Just park the trailer at your end and hook it up.

Old 03-08-10, 03:00 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Back when propane or oil were our only fuel choices, N gas is a new arrival, I looked at the cost of propane. If you were a small account, you paid three times what a large account paid. I always thought that was what the tank was for. Our oil companies will discount for large customers, but that's only 60 cents off of $3.00 prices.

A lot of our camps up here use several bottles and set them up so they can be switched easily. The trailer idea sounds nice, or one of the heavy duty special hand trucks so you can slide them in and out of a pick-up.

If it doesn't work as your load increases, you can always switch. At least then you will be using more volume and maybe they won't hit you as bad.

Bud

Old 03-08-10, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
Shop around. I pay nothing (its in the cost of the gas) for my tanks. I have 1-500gal and 1-250gal and buy about 750-1000 gals.

Old 03-08-10, 07:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I like the trailer idea too, but check to make sure you can have it filled while on the trailer. It may be a safety issue to prevent explosions due to static discharge. Just like you should never fill a gas can while it's in the bed of a truck or on a trailer.. You may also be required to display a red flammable gas placard while transporting a large tank.

Old 03-08-10, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JerseyMatt View Post
I like the trailer idea too, but check to make sure you can have it filled while on the trailer. It may be a safety issue to prevent explosions due to static discharge. Just like you should never fill a gas can while it's in the bed of a truck or on a trailer.. You may also be required to display a red flammable gas placard while transporting a large tank.
Excellent point. I'd think you would need to bond the tank to the trailer and have a bonding wire and clamp that would clip to the filling station.

Old 03-09-10, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I'm wondering how you'll transport an almost 400lb full tank? Sure won't be easy...
I have a 100 lb tank. It's nowhere near 400 lbs when filled. I doubt it's even half that since I can pick it up easily when it's empty.

Old 03-09-10, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
I misspoke...I was thinking 100 GAL tank...lol
Sorry bout that!

Matter of fact I refilled my BBQ tank yesterday and there was a 100lb for sale in the store. Those are used all the time by folks out here in the RV parks and such.

Old 03-09-10, 10:46 AM
Ok well thanks all. All good advise. I have a buddy who works for a propane company who said the 100lber should be sufficient, for cooking anyways. He said based on what he sees for refills i will last me about 6 months or so. Its only my fiance and i so we don't cook all that much.

What i will most likely do is hook up some manifold where i can add another 100lber in the future once i start using more. Since i plan on adding the dryer and who knows what else down the road.

Old 03-10-10, 08:58 AM
You'd better make sure you can get a propane supplier to service your tank. Where I live, none will install a 100 lb tank because it's not worth their time and travel to fill one so small. And even if they would come fill one that small, they won't touch one that isn't theirs. Sorta Catch-22.