Tearing off 2nd floor & moving CI vent stack

Old 03-10-10, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tearing off 2nd floor & moving CI vent stack

I am completely tearing off the second floor roof and walls down to the 2x8 joists of my 1951 house. I have a main 4" CI vent stack 3'9" from exterior of house. I would like to enclose this in a wet wall but would like it to be 4' or more from the exterior wall due to remodel of 2nd floor. I am willing to rip open 1st floor bathroom's non-loadbearing wall (which contains this stack) to accomplish it. I'll be re-installing the existing sink and toilet and adding a stall shower on the 2nd floor. The last homeowner installed a pvc toilet drain contained within a raised bathroom floor. I do plan to build a soffit in the downstairs bathroom if I have to, so I don't have a step up into the new bathroom on the second floor. The reason I hope to move the stack is to incorporate a door. I'd like the 4' or more of space or I'll need to redesign the remodel. Am I pretty much out of luck? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-10, 12:07 PM
Smile

If it's the vent portion of the stack you can do pretty much what you want with it, just run it with pitch upward and don't use any more fittings then you have to.

Old 03-10-10, 12:41 PM
Thumbs up

Hey thanks! My last fixture will be the sink on the 2nd floor. As long as nothing is draining into it (called a dry vent at that point?) I can alter its course with minimal angles. What if I wanted to alter its vertical path between the first and second floor (called wet vent portion I think?)? This is where I think I may get into trouble. I have no plumbing background. Just looking to get my bath on the 2nd floor hammered out to work the rest of the remodel around it. Oh... and thanks for the washer and electrical panel post help shacko. I don't want to steer anyone wrong. I should have left the plumbing portion of that response to someone qualified. Thanks for not throwing me under the bus on that one. I'm new here. I'll stick to what I'm trained/qualified.

Last edited by cmcdonough; 03-10-10 at 01:05 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-10-10, 01:03 PM
Smile

As long as you are above the highest fixture connected you can do what you want, if you have a fixture ABOVE where you want to move it you have to make sure that you don't ruin the vent hook-up; bottom line is that they all can be moved if they are re-connected correctly.

Old 03-10-10, 01:15 PM
thanks for taking the time to answer!