Question re water meter when upgrading to 3/4" copper from 1/2"

Old 03-11-10, 06:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question re water meter when upgrading to 3/4" copper from 1/2"

I am thinking of upgrading from 1/2" to 3/4" copper from the meter to the hwh.

I have 3/4" copper coming up from the basement floor to a shutoff valve, then 6" of 1/2" copper that connects to a threaded brass elbow, and finally 2-1/2" of 1/2" threaded brass pipe to the meter. On the other side of the meter is another 2-1/2" of brass pipe, threaded brass elbow and then 1/2" copper to the hwh. The meter is a Neptune 5/8" T-10.

Is an upgrade to a 3/4" meter required? Or can I just replace all the 1/2" copper with 3/4"? Would I need to upsize the two short sections of 1/2" brass pipe before/after the meter? I looked at a pdf document on Neptunes website and these short sections of pipe seem to be bundled with the meter and I'm worried that changing them will affect the accuracy of the meter to my disadvantage

http://www.neptunetg.com/userfiles/f...20Sheet_EN.pdf

Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-10, 02:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is this your meter or the municipality meter? I am not sure why it was necked down to 1/2". You surely have some reduced supply with that neck in the way. Is the meter end couplings 3/4"? If so, I would replace all of it with 3/4 to supply full volume. The water heater requires 3/4" anyway.

Old 03-12-10, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe it belongs to the municipality. The outside diameter of the male threaded section going into the meter is 1.030" according to the specs. I'm not sure if that's 3/4" thread but I did a bit of searching and it sounds about right. Perhaps the 5/8" model is a compromise and can be used in both 1/2" and 3/4" situations. I guess the best bet is to contact the municipality and see what they have to say.