Replace Sewer Line Vs. Pump

Old 03-18-10, 12:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace Sewer Line Vs. Pump

Hi,

I'm looking for an opinon as to which would be the better move for my. My house is a 45 year old slab house. I recently learned (through camera-ing the Laundry pipe) that a 25 foot portion of the original Laundry-Sewer line was cast iron, and has eroded to the point there is no top, allowing roots to impede the water flow to the point water will sometimes back up and backflow from the laundry standpipe.

I have spoken to plumbers for estimates, and there are two schools of thought. I can either have them dig through the house and concrete slab (no basement, no crawl space) and replace the existing line with PVC. The drawback is cost and the fact we'd need to re-floor the kitchen as well - as the pipe goes under the kitchen floor.

Option 2 is to install a pump, have the plumber route it through the garage, and connect it with the Kitchen line.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which would be better

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-10, 01:21 PM
Question

A key question is does your jurisdition allow the use of a punp; some areas will not allow if the fixture can be drained by gravity

Personal opinon is that you never use a pump unless you have to.

Old 03-18-10, 01:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First question is where is the laundry room located? If the washer drain is within ten feet of an outside wall you should be able to run a line around the perimeter of the house and tie into the main drain. If the washer is on an outside wall you are "golden". If it is on an opposite wall you could still tunnel to it with little more then a piece of pipe and a garden hose. A pro job would probably be very expensive but if you do it your self not too expensive. Your biggest expense would be renting a concrete saw and small pavement breaker to make a 1'X1' hole in the slab at the new drain.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-18-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 03:23 PM
R
Thanks for the thoughts

I assume the pump is allowed - a plumber recommended it.

And thanks for the other idea about going out the outside wall. I'll have to look into that possibility also...

Thanks again y'all

Old 03-18-10, 04:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Just to clarify I did mean bury the line around the perimeter of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: