Drain Tile

Old 03-19-10, 06:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain Tile

Hello,
I have issues each time it rains and then in the spring with water on the edges of my lot. On the back side of my lot i have a drainage pond. I spoke with city and they said to dig a trench out to that pond to aid in getting rid of the water. the trench was dug this past week.

what I was thinking here was to use a drain tile to try and carry this water over to the pond. When i have used this in the past we put pea rock all around the pipe to limit dirt getting into the pipe. I have seen they have another option of putting this sock of sorts over the pipe. Is this equivalent to pea rock or what other options do i have?

I don't really want to go the pea rock route as i have to do this all by hand and the trench is pretty wide not to mention to get that trucked in would cost a lot. I am hoping this sock will work as it is cheaper and the work is minimal. Are there other options?

Also, my plan was to have a grate in the yard for the water to drain in addition to the holes in the pipe. Anything else I should consider to keep the yard dry along the edges?

Thanks for the help and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-19-10, 02:22 PM
Unhappy

The sock is to keep fines from getting into the pipe, they are used with stone around the pipe, sorry.

Old 03-20-10, 04:23 PM
B
What are fines?

What if i used pvc? are there any other options there?

Old 03-20-10, 04:47 PM
Where are you located in the "USA" climate-wise?

Do you have the cheap corrugated pipe with or without the slits in it?

After you collect the water, if you want to carry water water away, use solid PVC, so no sock or gravel is needed and it carries the water away faster so it cannot freeze in the pipe IF you are in a cold climate. If you have a problem with freezing at the outfall, cover the area with straw to allow the water to disperse.

Dick

Old 03-21-10, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by bline22 View Post
What are fines?

What if i used pvc? are there any other options there?
Fines are small sand or dirt particles.

Old 03-22-10, 04:50 AM
B
I am in a cold climate. North Dakota. I am guessing i do have the cheap stuff, i don't know. the only stuff i have ever purchased is at Home Depot, Menards, etc. Is that the cheap stuff? What does the non cheap stuff have that is different and where would one purchase it?

Maybe that is my best method then is to go drain tile in my yard and then when i leave use pvc?

Old 03-25-10, 05:41 AM
B
Can anyone tell me if there are different types of drain tile as far as quality go? I want to make sure i get something that wont collapse under the weight of the dirt if i go this route.

Old 03-31-10, 05:22 AM
B
Do you guys think if i bought some drain tile and buried it in pea rock that I would even need to put a drain at ground level or would the water drain through the soil and into the drain tile and drain away just as efficiently?

Old 04-05-10, 05:15 AM
B
Anyone have any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: