Hot water in shower, but not in faucets

Old 03-21-10, 11:55 AM
Hot water in shower, but not in faucets

I bought a new gas hot water heater a couple of years ago, and had it professionally installed. Until a couple of months ago, it worked just fine, sending hot water to the shower, the kitchen sink and the two bathroom sinks properly. Then, the hot water stopped flowing to the three faucets. It sends hot water to the shower perfectly fine, but the two bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink are getting no hot water; it's ice cold. I tried turning off the cold water valves under each sink, but that didn't help. I didn't change any settings or valves or anything at all on the hot water heater to bring about this problem. Please assist.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-10, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
You may have junk clogging the cutoff valves for the sinks. The shower probably has no cutoffs so less chance of clogs.

Does the volume of water decrease when you turn off the cold shutoffs? Have you tried cycling the hot shutoffs a couple of times?

Old 03-21-10, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All 3 happened at the same time????This would be too odd.

Could it be those faucets are all downstream of where the hot water to the shower forks off the hot water trunk line? Do you have galvanized metal pipes?

Old 03-21-10, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
I see your problem quite regularly and if you do get hot water in one location the cause I most often see is an unintentional by-pass.
Laundry Y hoses with both taps left open are the usual culprit.
The last one was a commercial dishwasher with a rinse hose improperly installed without check valves.

You might want to look around for something similar.

Old 03-22-10, 02:34 PM
The water volume doesn't change at all when I turn off the cold water. I don't understand enough about plumbing to know what it means to cycle the hot shutoffs. Do you just mean to turn them off and then back on?

Old 03-22-10, 02:38 PM
Ecman, I'm not sure if the pipes are galvanized metal. Your idea about checking to see if the faucets are downstream from the shower cutoff makes sense, but I didn't see anything that looked obvious in the piping maze down near the water heater. Maybe that particular valve or knob is in the walls. Any further advice you could offer would be very appreciated.

Old 03-22-10, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Thats what I meant...yes.....on and off. But if the volumn of water doesn't change..its unlikely you have a blockage. If you get a clog..then naturally the flow will be reduced..

Have there been any changes of plumbing in the house? New appliances, repairs...anything?

Try shutting off the washer valves and see what happens. Or one sink at a time...

Old 03-23-10, 06:06 PM
Actually, yes, a few months back, I changed one of the bathroom faucets. I followed the instructions on the new faucet and it turned out fine. About a couple of weeks or so after that, I noticed this new problem. But, I didn't change anything in any other room or on the hot water heater itself. I don't see how that could have affected both bathrooms and the kitchen sink.

Old 03-24-10, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have good hot water pressure with the cold faucet off, yet the water is not hot - as Greg said - you must have a cross connection(between hot and cold) somewhere, that makes it so cold supply line water can go back up the hot water line somewhere. Do you have a portable dishwasher hooked up somewhere, with a Y hose on it? Describe how the rubber supply hoses hook up your washing machine.

You have something like this going on that is downstream of the last faucet that is working correctly that does give you hot water.

Are you in a single family home? I had such a situation occur in a 4-pex, the way they plumbed the laundry tub with various water taps, of which when some, when left on, water would go through one apts. water pipes and be billed to someone else's water meter, from such a cross connection.