Toilet flange too high in concrete floor

Old 03-26-10, 07:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet flange too high in concrete floor

32 years ago I built a house in my spare time. I plumbed the toilet flange about 5/8" too high out of the basement floor and had to cut a piece of 5/8" floor underlayment to raise the height of the toilet base. The toilet would have just rocked on top of the plastic closet flange. No leaks for the entire 32 years.

Now I have updated the house and decided to have the floor ceramic tiled. I also included a 1/4" layer of Hardy Backer Cement board thinking that should solve the high toilet flange issue. As luck would have it it still was not quite enough. The toilet squished the johnny ring practically all out and a slight leak developed at the base.

I guess the easiest solution will be to raise the height once again but this time I only need 3/16" to 1/4". Does anybody know of a better way short of demo'ing the concrete and cujtting the pipe. That's not going to happen.

So, if I'm back to raising the base up by tracing a spacer from the bottom of the toilet unless somebody has another solution to offer. I would like something like a white plastic so it would be discreet and be somewhat supple on top of ceramic tile spacer. I would appreciate your suggestions.

BS5

Old 03-27-10, 03:40 PM
Smile

Under the circumstancis I don't think that you have any options but to shim it again. What I would do is to trace a spacer for the bottom of the toilet and cut the outside a little short, set the toilet and put a nice bead of caulk around the base, should look fine, luck.

Old 03-27-10, 06:44 PM
B
I guess you are right, Shacko. At least it won't have to be so thick of a shim this this time. I spose a good oiled piece of tempered hardboard painted white round the outside will work.

You know something I have not tried to tighten yet. I will give that a try before tearing it up again. Thank you for the comment.

bs5

Old 03-29-10, 07:11 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
They used to sell a piece of marble that went under the toilet. I've seen this twice so I so it must have been an off the shelf item. If not you could get a piece of marble or granite or corian from a counter top place and have a hole cut in. Why not just put a piece of 5/5 or 3/4 over the whole bathroom area and then tile?

Old 03-29-10, 03:46 PM
B
Thanks for the information mgmine> A thin spacer would be just right. 3/16" possibly 1/8 to 1/4 would all look fine, I'm sure. I have never seen one to buy and it seems every toilet base is different.

bs5

Old 03-30-10, 06:59 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The ones I am talking about stick out from underneath the toilet, they aren't cut to match the toilet shape.

Old 03-30-10, 08:58 AM
Why not cut the pipe to fit? then install one of these You can get them for $16 at Home Depot or Lowes.

they slide right into the existing pipe... have a gasket on the bottom to prevent gasses from escaping, and screw to the subfloor. I've used them three times in three different bathrooms in the last 6 months. All work great.

You can cut the existing pipe horizontally using a recip saw and bi blade. just a thought. Takes about 14 seconds.

Old 03-30-10, 03:23 PM
B
Originally Posted by riggstad View Post
Why not cut the pipe to fit? then install one of these You can get them for $16 at Home Depot or Lowes.

they slide right into the existing pipe... have a gasket on the bottom to prevent gasses from escaping, and screw to the subfloor. I've used them three times in three different bathrooms in the last 6 months. All work great.

You can cut the existing pipe horizontally using a recip saw and bi blade. just a thought. Takes about 14 seconds.
=============

Goood call, I was wondering if they made such a thing. Even though the flange is external this fits inside a 4" PIPE/ Just right

Thanks bs5

Old 10-04-10, 11:08 AM
H
Another Flange Too High situtation

Hello. I have a similar situation -- flange too high -- after I apply the home depot's $16 gadget.

I have an 60 old rusted out cast-iron flange (so flaked that even thick wax ring won't seal well). I don't have access from below the floor. I was thinking about cutting the old flange off from inside with a disk cutter but was very concern that I might compromise the integrity of the iron pipe after cut. I'm seeking input about this: would it be a problem that the old pipe might crack? I don't expect this to be a 14-second cut; I think it might take a good 20 minutes for me. Any suggestion a better way to take the rusty flange off?. Currently the flange is tightly surrounded by tile and grout.

My height exceedence with the added $16 ring would be about 1/4" and I do not wish to use the marble idea mentioned in the thread.

Thanks!

Shay

Old 12-21-10, 05:40 AM
B
I needed an upgrade to the floor anyway after 32 years. My solution was a layer of thinset and 1/4" hardy board (cement board) and then another layer of thinset with a layer of ceramic tile. This ended up raisiing the floor the 5/8" I needed. Cement board is available in several different thickness including 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". I did end up trimming the bottom of my bathroom door but now I have a perfectly fitting toilet flange and a new ceramic tile floor.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: