Removing ABS pipe from cast iron fitting

Old 04-02-10, 12:38 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing ABS pipe from cast iron fitting

What is the best approach for removing an ABS pipe from a cast iron fitting? I am interested in completely removing the 4 ABS pipe from the cast iron fitting located in the lower level of the house. I have a number of pictures of the pipe and fitting, but I'm not sure they are necessary. I've studied some of the related articles on this subject but am not sure the situation I have is comparable.

Is it unlikely that the ABS pipe is threaded into the cast iron fitting; or is it more likely that the pipe is simply glued in some way or another? Would a cast iron fitting like this generally have some sort of a nipple that the ABS pipe fits over?

My instinctive approach would be to cut away most of the ABS pipe and then heat the cast iron fitting with the hope of loosening up the connection; but since I'm not certain if I'm dealing with a screw-fitting or a glue-fitting, I'm a bit apprehensive about just jumping into it. Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to replace the ABS with PVC, but to continue using the cast iron fitting.

Thank you.

Old 04-02-10, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

It would have been nice if you could have posted pictures, ABS into cast iron can be installed in more than one ways, directly packed and poured with lead, pack and poured with a adapter, installed with a donut, etc. Need more information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: