I want a tub spout with a diverter

Old 04-10-10, 07:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I want a tub spout with a diverter

I have a slip fit tub spout on a copper pipe and want to add a spout that has a diverter so I can have a hand held sprayer.

I think only rear threaded ones have diverters right ? So I bought a rear threaded one and a nipple.

From what I can see I would have to cut a hole in the wall to put the nipple on. The nipple needs to be flush with the wall right ? otherwise it looks like there will be a gap between the wall and the back of the tub spout.

Anyone have some info ?

Old 04-10-10, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No....you can get a slip on style with a diverter. Third one down in the diverter style section...Bath tub spouts, largest selection

Hmmm I guess you wouldn't need that if you already had a shower in your tub though.....
I guess you really want one like this...only in a slip on style....

They may have them though not shown here. Have you checked with a plumbing supply house?

Also...since you have copper, its probably soldered in the wall. A nipple won't help unless there is a threaded connection that can be broken and then the nipple inserted. And if you look at that list..it tells you how far the nipple should protrude for each spout.

You could prob solder on a male threaded end to the copper but you take a large risk of twisting the copper or breaking the solder joint.

Ahhhh here's what you need......http://www.plumbingsupply.com/alsons...cessories.html

Sorry still waking up.....

Old 04-10-10, 07:51 AM
M
A male threaded end is probably what I bought with the rear mounted tub spout. It solders on the pipe and the spout screws on it.

But I think I spoke too soon anyway the one called Model 1072 Add-A-Shower on this page Water supply accessories by Alsons from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY claims to be a slip mount with a side outlet.

I have only looked at a couple home improvement stores I will have to look some more I think.

Old 04-10-10, 07:54 AM
M
Oooh maybe I can just get a "slip fit adapter" like they are talking about in this diagram and use the rear mounted one I already got ?

http://www.plumbingworld.com/images/...71-diagram.gif

Old 04-10-10, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Possibly...though I imagine the part by itself might be hard to find....and it would only work for a 3/4" threaded spout....most are 1/2".

Old 04-10-10, 09:27 AM
M
The spout I bought looks like it might go on either size there is a threaded plastic insert inside a larger one. I just need to go look more I guess.

This one looks like what I need I would rather have the shower tap on the top or side but whatever it would work.

DANCO Universal Tub Spout W/Hand Shower Fitting-Chrome - 88453 at The Home Depot

Old 04-10-10, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Yep..that looks like it might work. Those prices on the site I gave are probably kinda high. You might find prices locally are much lower. Don't forget your local full service hardware stores. They may have exactly what you need.

Many of the cheaper spouts (and I think the one you showed) are made of plastic...and just don't hold up very well.

Old 04-10-10, 12:03 PM
M
No doubt the one I linked is a crappy one but if there is one maybe there are more. Plus it's replacing a crappy one

I am defiantly going to look at a physical store first I want to see what it really looks like.

Old 04-10-10, 12:27 PM
M
Old 04-18-10, 07:40 PM
M
Here is an update on my project.

I bought a slip fit spout with a connection for a hand shower. Well it sucks, there are two problems. The first is the connection for the hand shower is on the bottom so the hose will hang into the tub. The second is water comes out of the hand shower connection all the time you are running the water.

So I am going to return that one and order the slip fit adapter and see how that works.

Old 04-19-10, 05:27 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Why not just use a hand shower that connects to the shower head pipe?

Old 04-19-10, 06:27 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A hand held sprayer that connects to the shower arm would probably be a better way to go. If you look around you will find ones that allow you to have both the hand held AND a regular shower head. A simple rotary valve at the end of the arm lets you select one, the other, or both to be used.

Old 04-19-10, 06:53 PM
M
Why not just use a hand shower that connects to the shower head pipe?
Because there is no shower this a currently only a tub and there is a stand alone shower in the bathroom. I want a hand shower in the tub to make it easier to give the dog a bath. I wouldn't really be able to do it in the shower unless I wanted to get naked and get in the shower with the dog

Old 04-19-10, 07:22 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
"Tub only" -- that changes my thinking!!

Find the spout that Gunguy45 posted the picture of in his initial reply. Get one that matches what is stubbed out of the wall, or, if need be, adapt the stub-out to fit the spout that you are able to find.

Old 06-06-10, 07:03 PM
M
So I finally finished doing this.

I ordered the adapter from the showerstore ShowerStore 1/2 inch copper slip fit to 3/4 inch threaded adapter in NA at ShowerStore.com

I just had to stick that on the pipe and cut off the extra part sticking out. Then I was able to use a rear threaded spout of which there are a ton of that have connections for hand showers.

It seems to be holding ok with no leaks. The only think I am afraid of is if the adapter does leak or cause some problem I would have to cut the wall open to solder a male threaded end on since I cut the pipe I couldn't just put a slip fit spout back on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: