Main Water Shut-Off Valve problem..

Old 04-27-10, 08:40 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main Water Shut-Off Valve problem..

I have 2 problems. 1) The main shut-off valve appears to have a pinhole in the side of it and needs to be replaced (Ball Valve). 2) The main water line is kinked coming into the house. Replacing the ball valve isnt a big deal - I can get the water turned off at the curb stop (can I buy the "key" from a hardware store or the like?) but my main beef is with the kinked copper line. My water pressure is supposed to be about 80psi but right now its at about 50psi (35-40psi in winter) and I suspect it would be higher if the pipe wasn't kinked. Should I bother to replace the kinked section of pipe, and what tools/materials would I need to replace it? Pics posted at the bottom. I took the afternoon off of work tomorrow to replace this, so I'm hoping to get a little info before I tear into it tomorrow.

Sorry, the photos are huge but I did it this way so its easier to see the problems.
Kinked pipe - about 6-8" up from concrete floor

Front of valve - this is for reference if I have to replace the kinked section - whats the best way to reconnect this with new pipe spliced in?

Its very hard to see as the valve is so close to the wall - in the center of the brass midsection of the valve there is green corrosion/hard water scale. This is to be replaced for sure. The packing nut is NOT the leaky culprit.

Any insight on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm afraid the valve may crack or burst and flood my house.

The size of the pipe coming out of the concrete floor is .891" O.D. and the house is a 1959 Single Story Rambler in Minnesota.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 04-27-10, 09:46 PM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a swivel nut on the copper pipe that connects to the 90. After replacing the valve, you could use a piece of soft copper and a few shark bite fittings to put it back together. The soft copper will allow you to bend the pipe gently without kinking it.
I myself wouldn't bother to replace the pipe. The small kink in the line may effect the water supply (4.5 gpm vs 5gpm) but it has no effect on the pressure.

Old 04-28-10, 05:23 AM
L
Originally Posted by dan0661 View Post
Looks like a swivel nut on the copper pipe that connects to the 90. After replacing the valve, you could use a piece of soft copper and a few shark bite fittings to put it back together. The soft copper will allow you to bend the pipe gently without kinking it.
I myself wouldn't bother to replace the pipe. The small kink in the line may effect the water supply (4.5 gpm vs 5gpm) but it has no effect on the pressure.
Well, my only thing is it appears to only be 7/8" pipe and with the low water pressure/volume (I should have clarified) that kink which is squashed to almost 1/2 the original diameter has to have a more dramatic effect than .5 gpm. I've seen the water pressure drop to under 20psi even. <shrug>

Old 04-28-10, 05:55 AM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The (7/8" outside) pipe is standard 3/4 copper so getting fittings shouldn't be a problem. I guess there is a gauge in the line on the house side of the valve? Does your stagnant pressure remain the same(50psi) or does it change from day to day?

Old 04-28-10, 02:51 PM
L
Originally Posted by dan0661 View Post
The (7/8" outside) pipe is standard 3/4 copper so getting fittings shouldn't be a problem. I guess there is a gauge in the line on the house side of the valve? Does your stagnant pressure remain the same(50psi) or does it change from day to day?
I have a Reverse Osmosis Water Filter with in-line pressure gauge. In the summer time, the pressure is usually pretty steady at 50psi. Sometimes it fluctuates a little (about 5-8psi) in the evening hours as there is a yard watering restriction during the day.

I replaced the ball valve for now, and see if anyone else weighs in on the restriction of the kink. The guy that came to turn my water off said the kink wouldn't affect pressure, but moreso the volume. He also told me it shouldnt be effected much, but I have a really hard time believing that a 3/4" pipe squashed to half of its diameter wont have much a difference from a round pipe in volume/pressure.

Old 04-28-10, 03:38 PM
>>> I can get the water turned off at the curb stop (can I buy the "key" from a hardware store or the like?>> My water pressure is supposed to be about 80psi but right now its at about 50psi (35-40psi in winter) and I suspect it would be higher if the pipe wasn't kinked.

Old 05-01-10, 11:38 PM
L
[QUOTE=shacko;1722124]>>> I can get the water turned off at the curb stop (can I buy the "key" from a hardware store or the like?>> My water pressure is supposed to be about 80psi but right now its at about 50psi (35-40psi in winter) and I suspect it would be higher if the pipe wasn't kinked.

Old 09-18-10, 05:37 AM
Actual Pressue

Did you actually measure the pressure after the main was replaced?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: