Garage Floor Catch Basin

Old 04-28-10, 10:09 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Garage Floor Catch Basin

I will have my 25 years old concrete double garage floor replaced next week and the contractor told me that I will have to take care of the installation of a new catch basin for the floor drain.

My local store has various sizes of these basins in plastic (PVC ?) at about $36.00 and they told me that all I have to do is cut on the side of the basin the hole for the drain pipe and put silicone around the pipe; I asked a plumber how much it will cost me to have one installed and he said $320.00 + tax. I find this price reticular and I will attempt to do the installation by myself.

I cant see the drain pipe on my existing basin but I suspect that it may be concrete or cast iron and so I will get an adaptor and connect a small length of ABS drain pipe and then to the basin.

My question is: if there is no P-Trap on the existing installation, should I put one? Also just silicone around the pipe to connect to the basin is enough?

Thank you

Old 04-29-10, 10:21 AM
KField, are you asking me to see post 23895,89176 in the Toilets, Sinks, Showers, Tubs & Disp. section?

How do I search for these posts?

Thanks

Old 04-29-10, 12:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you see no p-trap your system is probably hooked to a ground water system, you don't need one if that's correct.

Silicone should be fine.

Your other question about searching for a previous post, I don't have a clue

Old 04-29-10, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
If you see no p-trap your system is probably hooked to a ground water system, you don't need one if that's correct.

Silicone should be fine.

Your other question about searching for a previous post, I don't have a clue

Thanks Shacko for the info, very helpful

Had a closer look at my existing basin and noticed that there is a trap. The pipe which comes thru the wall of the concrete basin (I think it is 4") has a T connected to it; One end of the T has a cleanout and the other end is pointing downwards with a 4" long pipe connected to the T. This part is submerged into the water and therefore acts like a P-trap.

Perhaps there is a name for the above kind of trap but I'm not a plumber and therefore dont know about it.

Much appreciated

Old 04-30-10, 12:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you describe sounds like a sand interceptor, if that was part of the original you probably need to copy the pipe lay-out.

Old 05-01-10, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
What you describe sounds like a sand interceptor, if that was part of the original you probably need to copy the pipe lay-out.

You are right, it is a sand interceptor because at the bottom of the basin I have at least 6" of sludge.

But since part of the pipe from the "T" is submerged to water, it must also act like a P-trap to prevent odors coming into the garage. I plan to copy the layout as you suggest.

Thanks

Old 06-11-10, 12:49 PM
Since I got not a really good info about this basin installation, I had a plumber yesterday to install the basin. All work would be soon under a 6 concrete floor and I didnt want to take a chance

For the benefit of all members, I have documented the installation in a series of photos at:

Garage Floor Drain pictures by kolias - Photobucket

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: