Clogged Upstairs Shower/Tub

Old 04-29-10, 09:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clogged Upstairs Shower/Tub

Hello,
Our upstairs tub is clogged to the point where it takes about 12 hours for water to get down the drain and I have plunged the &$%# out of it. Any suggestions? I have liquid fire, but have used it once and I know its pretty corrosive. My pipes are plastic so I think it should be alright, but am looking for alternative suggestions first. Thanks all...
PS, I have also remove the overflow and there is no hair or blockages I can see/reach...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 11:41 AM
H
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You said you pulled the overflow, so I assume stopper and there was not an obvious clog. Have you pulled the strainer and checked the shoe. I have seen clogs there that were not apparent from the stopper assembly. If if is not there it must be downstream. Are there any other slow drains in this bath?

Old 04-29-10, 11:53 AM
Question

Did you hold a rag over the overflow when you were plunging? if not all the force is going out there and not into the drain

Like the other post said you should look into your shoe on the tub, a lot of clogs are hair right at that point.

Using chemical drain clleaners are usually a waste of time and money; and if you mix them you may cause major damage to YOU and your plumbing.

If plumging dosen't work you will have to snake it out

Old 04-29-10, 07:16 PM
D
Not working, still clogged

Thanks for the answers... I have held a wet rag over the overflow while plunging and have reached into the shoe as far as i could to no avail. While plunging harder than ever with the overflow plugged with wet rag, all that happend was my tub became filled with black water. It will start to drain for a second or two, then stop and sit...I got nothing else, should I try bleach or the liquid fire? Gonna let it sit over night hoping it will go down, then try, I think, any other options first? Thanks again...

Old 04-29-10, 07:50 PM
D
response

Hi Handyman, I didnt answer in my last reply, there are no other stoppages in the sink or toilet in this bath room. I aogree it must be downstream, especially since it will start to go down after plunging, then stop... thanks, please help!

Old 04-30-10, 07:22 AM
H
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There is probably a big hair clog down stream. I am a pretty accomplished handyman, but I don't professionally auger drains. I have toy 15' auger from the orange place that has bailed me out of several situations like you have. Locally we have home repair show on the radio and the host recommends a product called "Liquid Lightning", which he says is sulphuric acid. He says that some Walmarts and Home Depots carry it. Use ONLY if you have plastic plumbing. I have no personal experience with it. Good luck.

Old 04-30-10, 11:09 AM
Give up the idea that a chemical drain cleaner is going to do you any good, you need to have your lines rodded out!

Reguardless of what the other post said, you put acid into your system and you can damage you pipes or cause major body damage!!

Old 05-01-10, 04:58 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you snake a tub, you snake it down the overflow hole. I have never been stymied by a pluggd tub - ever.

Yes, the sulphuric acid can work, but also yes could be dangerous. In theory even if a hair clog, it will dissolve what is mixed with the hair so that it becomes smaller and can go down the drain. I've used the stuff, successfully.

BUT - it can (will, actually)give off a visible hovering gas, and smell your house up to that of rotten eggs!

So - Try the snake. You can buy a 25 footer also of that tinker toy 15 foot variety, for likewise cheap.

If you have a drumtrap in an old house, under your tub, snaking will not work beyond the trap, and you will need draincleaner, time to let sit, and more plunging, and maybe shop vac(but if you do, do not let it run too long as in theory it can draw sewer gas and possibly cause an explosion). Even plugged drum traps have not stymied me.)

Old 12-28-13, 10:14 AM
been a week plus trying to clear up stairs tub drain. All other drains are free and clear. dosed it with three shots 32 oz Drano Jell, tried boiling water, snaked through the overflow went down pipe estimated 20 feet than hit something the snake would not pass. Bough compression type plunder with bellows didn't clear. Tried Zepp powder enzyme, plugged vent and vacuumed with shopvac pulled up a lot of water and then nothing. with the drain clear of water I can run water fullforce into tub after a few minuted it stops fast draining and takes a day to drain off an inch off water.
It is a fifty year old house, cast iron pipes. No drain trap in bathroom (nothing visible). Sink drains OK, toilet works fine.
Should I keep trying to run the snake into the drai.n pipe? What could a plumber do differently?

Old 12-28-13, 03:59 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It is always best to start a new topic rather than to piggy-back onto a several year old thread.

A fifty year old house most likely has galvanized steel piping on all but the main toilet drain and the vertical "stack". These galvanized steel lines rust and corrode over the years to the point of all but completely occluding the inside of the piping. A plumber using a snake with a cutting bit MAY (or may not) have limited success in temporarily clearing a passage through the old pipes but the only real repair is to replace the piping. The repair would use plastic and be impervious to any rust and corrosion.