Still Having Trouble With Toilet-Drain Clog or Malfunctioning Toilet?

Old 04-30-10, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Still Having Trouble With Toilet-Drain Clog or Malfunctioning Toilet?

I post before about troubles with my grandmother's toilet.
I have continued to work on it this week and have narrowed the problem down.

Here is what I know

1. It is only the toilet that is having trouble draining. No other drains/pipes are backing up.
2. Toilet is NOT completely clogged-I can dump large buckets of water into the bowl and it will go down relatively quickly. It is only when I mix it with solids that the toilet has trouble.
3. I have used an auger, plunger, and every single kind of drain cleaning solution with no luck. I cannot get it to flush right. I used the auger for a while-I have not had anything come up or pull anything out.

Is there anything I am missing? Maybe it is not a clog but a malfunctioning toilet that is not flushing correctly? Any way I can differentiate between the two?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-10, 03:45 AM
We had that same problem.
Took the toilet off and found a comb was stuck in the toilet. Plunging and augur wouldn't free it.
david

Old 05-01-10, 09:24 AM
If this is a 1.6 gallon toilet manufactured before 2003 (the date is usually stamped under the lid or in the tank) get rid of it - it'll never work right.

Otherwise like 6t7gto says probably something fell in and is stuck in the trap. I've had this problem with a small toothbrush and also those small shaving cream caps. Snaking it will not free up those kind of items.

Old 05-01-10, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by pittguy578 View Post
I post before about troubles with my grandmother's toilet.
I have continued to work on it this week and have narrowed the problem down.

Here is what I know

1. It is only the toilet that is having trouble draining. No other drains/pipes are backing up.
2. Toilet is NOT completely clogged-I can dump large buckets of water into the bowl and it will go down relatively quickly. It is only when I mix it with solids that the toilet has trouble.
3. I have used an auger, plunger, and every single kind of drain cleaning solution with no luck. I cannot get it to flush right. I used the auger for a while-I have not had anything come up or pull anything out.

Is there anything I am missing? Maybe it is not a clog but a malfunctioning toilet that is not flushing correctly? Any way I can differentiate between the two?
1: Then you know that it's confined to the toilet or the drain at that location.

2: That indicates that you have a partial clog in the toilet or pipe.

3: If you are using an auger on the toilet you are probally not getting far enough in to the line. Cleaning solutions are mostly a waste of time and money; plus mixing them together can cause major damage to your plumbing or yourself!

4: Like the other posts said you have to take the toilet off and see if anything is caught in the trap, if not dump some water down the open pipe and see how it drains, if it is slow thats where you have to have it rodded out.

Old 05-01-10, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is water level in tank high enough?

Is flapper staying open long enough?

You can look up to top of trap in toilet with mechanics mirror and flashlight, even with water still in bowl.

Water plunged and sponged out of bowl will aid in if object in toilet floats, that it can fall back into bowl where you can grab it.

Augering often goes around objects stuck in bowl, unfortunately - and sometimes you have to take it outside, take off the toilet seat so it does not slam and crack the toilet tank!, and shake toilet and listen for rattling inside (with water out of tank and bowl completely). Re-auger from top AND then through bottom, then shake. Also pour water from pail quickly -also flipping toilet over and pouring water in from other direction. Be careful not to put stress on tank. In real hopeless stuck object cases, you can get better shaking and flippihng results if you remove the tank (normally an easy job).

Do not bother to reset toilet back inside, til you test flush outside with wadded up wet toilet paper ("turd" simulation test) with 2 -3 "turds", at once, by having toilet up on blocks, and with tank full of water, and with water in the bowl - and flush like normal - and see if the turds come out the bottom, or not.

Old 05-01-10, 05:53 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi, Did you put a lot of toilet paper in the toilet then use a bucket of water to flush it?
If the toilet flushes with bucket of water I suspect that the holes around the rim and at the bottom of the toilet may be plugged. If the toilet doesn't flush the something is in it. Did you use bowl auger? the small 1/4 inch cable wont do it. If you used a bowl auger and you can't clear it take the toilet off and turn it over and run the auger from the bottom.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-04-10, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all of your responses-it was the toilet. I called the plumber and paid for it-$400. I probably could have done it myself, but I was tired of dealing with the issue and just spent the money. I can move onto other things. I did gain some helpful experience for the future in regards to clogs.

Old 05-04-10, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
$400 for toilet work and/or replacement?