Hand Pump for Well

Old 05-05-10, 08:31 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hand Pump for Well

I am trying set up an old pump at my farm. I'm told that I will need some pipe and a sucker rod to complete what I need.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I assume that I will need to measure the depth of the well to determine how much pipe that I will need. Also, would the pipe and the sucker rod be available at a plumbing supply store.
Many thanks for any assistance.

Old 05-06-10, 09:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Manual/hand pumps are difficult to find these days. You might have to order one online or have your plumbing supplier order one for you. The deepest I've seen one done is 30 or 35 feet. Your pump does not need to be the full depth of your well. In fact you want it at least a couple feet off the bottom so you don't suck in silt or sand. If your well is really good the water may be very close to the surface and you won't have to position your pump too deep.

Old 05-07-10, 07:47 AM
G
Actually, I have the pump and the pump cylinder. I guess I need some more pipe and a sucker rod.

Old 05-07-10, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by garyrt
Actually, I have the pump and the pump cylinder. I guess I need some more pipe and a sucker rod.
If you get on the net and do a search you will find a lot of hits for hand powered water pumps.

Old 05-07-10, 04:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A quick Google search indicates sucker rods are commonly used on oil well pumps. It is my understanding that the traditional water well hand pump simply sets on a pipe and sucks up the water by creating vacuum. Atmospheric pressure then forces the water up.

Old 05-07-10, 07:45 PM
Dean Bennet supply in Co. they have a very good web site, a lot of rual hard ware stores in our area have parts for old pumps.
the only pumps that used vacum to suck the water were the old small kitchen hand pumps, the pumps you tradionaly see on old windmills used a sucker rod and a down hole positive lift pump and are capable of pumping from over 100ft. the main problem with deeper pumps is the weight of the rod to opperate them.

Murphy was an optimist

Last edited by Speedwrench; 05-07-10 at 07:48 PM. Reason: remembered more info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: