WATER HAMMER ARRESTER VS. expansion tank

Old 05-07-10, 02:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
WATER HAMMER ARRESTER VS. expansion tank

Can I remove the WATER HAMMER ARRESTER on my hot water heater and replace it with a water expansion tank or do I need both. I still have water hammer (pipes rattle) with the WATER HAMMER ARRESTER installed so I thought that a water exoansion tank would solve the problem. Is that correct. Thank you.

Old 05-07-10, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't have any idea why you have a water hammer arrester on you water heater, an expansion tank is what is SUPPOSED to be there to allow the expansion of heated water a place to go.

Hammer arresters are usually used near a quick opening or closing valve, like a wash machine or a irrigation system, they are also used on the top of risers

Water hammer can also be caused by pipe that isn't fastened securly, the arresters would not do anything for that.

Old 05-07-10, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
I don't have any idea why you have a water hammer arrester on you water heater, an expansion tank is what is SUPPOSED to be there to allow the expansion of heated water a place to go.

Hammer arresters are usually used near a quick opening or closing valve, like a wash machine or a irrigation system, they are also used on the top of risers

Water hammer can also be caused by pipe that isn't fastened securly, the arresters would not do anything for that.
Thank you for your reply. So I guess what you are staying is that the hammer arrestor isn't really helping when it is installed at the HWT anyway so I can remove it and use the tee that it was installed to add the expansion tank. FYI there are hammer arrestor at the HWT on both the inlet and outlet but to my knowledge nowhere else in the house.

Old 05-08-10, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing because I don't know why the arrestor was on the water heater in the first place, you should be able to remove it. If you install a expansion tank it should be installed on the cold side and the air pressure should match your incomming water pressure BEFORE the tank is installed.

Old 05-08-10, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
I'm guessing because I don't know why the arrestor was on the water heater in the first place, you should be able to remove it. If you install a expansion tank it should be installed on the cold side and the air pressure should match your incomming water pressure BEFORE the tank is installed.
Thank you again for the reply. The expansion tank was precharged to 40 PSI and my water pressure is 65 PSI, so I should pressure up the exopansion tank to 65 PSI before
I install it? Correct?

Old 05-09-10, 11:54 AM
That is correct, 65lbs. before you install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: