Adding outdoor spigot

Old 05-08-10, 07:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding outdoor spigot

Hey guys, I have a 3/4" copper line in the basement that is capped off. I would like to cut that cap off and run directly out the wall to a hose spigot outside. Is there anyway to do this with flexible water line and without getting a torch?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-10, 10:39 AM
Yes. There are fittings that push on to the 3/4 copper and other types of piping. Sometimes called shark bite fittings. As for flexible, PEX piping is a little flexible. If needed, use elbows to get where you need to go. I would recommend installing a valve in the line just in case you should have to work on it again.

Old 05-08-10, 12:37 PM
There is currently a valve right before the pipe ends. So I could cut off the cap and use this sharkbite fitting to extend the pipe outside? I only mentioned flexible to make it easier, but it seems like that won't be necessary, all I would need is an elbow to turn the pipe outside and some way to connect that elbow and the hose spigot to the pipe.

Old 05-08-10, 08:49 PM
They come straight, elbow and adapter. You can go from 3/4 pipe in one side and threaded 1/2" on the other that will thread onto the outside faucet. When installing the faucet, make sure it is sloped toward the outside. When it is turned off, the water than drains out of the pipe (if the hose is disconnected) so it won't freeze. Before you try to push the pipe into the shark bite, mark a line on the pipe to make sure it is inserted all the way. Sometimes it feels like it is on but it only went about half way and it will leak especially if you are working upside down on your back in a skinny crawl space and the shut off is waaaay over there so you have to crawl back and forth. There are usually instructions in the bag with the fitting.