Removing lead pipe leading to cast iron waste line

Old 05-08-10, 05:40 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing lead pipe leading to cast iron waste line

I need to know how to safely remove lead elbow that leads to cast iron wasteline, so I can rebuild the waste line with a flange to properly attach a toilet

Old 05-09-10, 10:56 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
e870pxm,

Welcome to the forums.

Pictures would help. If you can, post them directly here or on a free site like photbucket or yahoo photos and give us the URL.

First question, how large is the waste line. It has to be at least 3" for a toilet. Is there a vent close by in the wasteline? (Need one for the toilet to function properly.)

Removing the lead elbow shouldn't be too difficult. It should be caulked in with lead and oakum. Use a chisel or screwdriver to remove the caulking and the pipe will slide out, leaving the hub in tact. Use a Fernco donut to install your new pipe into the hub. (As long as you don't create any DUST removing the lead, it can be done safely.)

Old 05-11-10, 08:28 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
e870pxm,

Welcome to the forums.

Pictures would help. If you can, post them directly here or on a free site like photbucket or yahoo photos and give us the URL.

First question, how large is the waste line. It has to be at least 3" for a toilet. Is there a vent close by in the wasteline? (Need one for the toilet to function properly.)

Removing the lead elbow shouldn't be too difficult. It should be caulked in with lead and oakum. Use a chisel or screwdriver to remove the caulking and the pipe will slide out, leaving the hub in tact. Use a Fernco donut to install your new pipe into the hub. (As long as you don't create any DUST removing the lead, it can be done safely.)
Thank you for your response.

Waste line is at least 3" and does have vent so no issues there only problem is lead elbow.

So if I understand correctly, I should use a small chisel or flat blade srew drive on exterior of pipe where cast iron and lead pipe come together. Looks like there is some lead over the top of the oakum creating a seal. I am assuming i just slowly break away that lead until I get to the oakum and then just pull the oakum out which should free the lead pipe.

Correct?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: