Repair leaking PVC pipe

Old 05-11-10, 06:31 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair leaking PVC pipe

PVC 3 inch waste line

Under full pressure (water test), there is a tiny leak. 1 drop of water every 1-2 minutes at one of the elbow joints. Short of ripping it out and redoing it, is there an alterative to repair it? Some special glue?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-10, 07:37 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, we all know it should be done the right way. And the fact it drips at all leads one to wonder about the integrity of the glue job - perhaps not just at this joint, but at other joints. The glue was not old and congealed was it? But if this pipe is in an area that a few drops of water will not harm anything, you could -

-roughen up the joint with plumbers wet/dry emory cloth, then knead some epoxy stick, quicklly dry the spot, push on the epoxy you just kneaded (you can smooth it when still pliable, with wet fingers). Let dry for the required 6 minutes or so or til hard. Then as extra security, bandage the whole joint round and round (think 'mummy')with no less than electrical tape - or that special tape now they are selling on tv, being hawked by that one famous infomercial guy. (Seen the ad?)

Old 05-11-10, 09:12 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Depending on a few variables I might try just daubing on some more cement.

Old 05-16-10, 09:26 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for response. I decided to cut the whole pipe out and redo it. I used fresh glue (2 bottles) with a huge applicator this time and it is now fully water tight.
Thanks!

Old 05-16-10, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Best repair is a complete repair......good job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: