water shut off key

Old 05-13-10, 03:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water shut off key

I have a water shut off valve that is about three or four feet down in about a 4" hole. The Key that I have has rusted out. I can't tell how big the nut is at the bottom of the hole. Its probably about a half inch. I am wondering if all these nuts are the same size and will any key fit my shutoff?

My house was built in the late sixties if that helps at all. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-10, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Most local plumbing supply and hardware stores will sell whats appropriate for the area.

No..they are not all the same. Mine is not a nut...just a....hmmm...large thumb turn kinda thing? Like an inverted flat blade screw slot....

It was the same in VA..but the key I had for there was a lot wider than needed here.

Old 05-13-10, 05:26 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have a feeling the OP said "nut" even though he knows that this "nut" is really a raised rectangle. And I'd say most would require about a 1/2 inch female recepticle for it. For mobile home curb stops, we have taken say 1 1/4 ich pipe and cut out the rectangle shape in the bottom of the pipe. Be careful to turn it slowly - and it goes from off to fully on in only 1/4 (90 degrees) revolution. And if you did make such tool, you'd need to use a pipe wrench to turn it. We left these "tools" right down in the curb stop pipe in case of emergency. We also have the factory type t-handle curb-stop tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: