Hose bib leaking inside wall - busted?

Old 05-15-10, 07:26 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hose bib leaking inside wall - busted?

Hi - We have a hose bib that leaks when we turn it on. Water is running out the hole in the wall where the faucet is attached. It also runs out the hole in the wall inside the crawl space. No water is leaking from the handle or where the copper pipe is attached to the plastic water supply pipe inside the crawlspace.

It looks like the copper pipe running through the wall has a crack. I am assuming that the faucet froze at some previous point, perhaps because the previous home owner left a hose on during a freezing period, and must have burst.

Does that sound right? If so, I assume I need to replace the entire hose bib assembly. It is probably not worth trying to replace just the copper pipe running through the wall.

FWIW, the hose bib is a Woodford Model 14.

Thanks so much! MM

Old 05-15-10, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yes, you sound like you have it right. Replace the whole thing and put a shutoff ball valve inside the basement. Then you can close the basement valve, open the outside, then close the outside after it completely drains. Make sure to put a slight downward slope between the inside and outside.

You probably have a split in the actual faucet housing inside the wall. Since it stops when you close it..it must be after the seat.

Old 05-15-10, 08:32 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Indeed, I was planning on putting a high-quality brass 1/2 in. ball valve before the bibb assembly.

I don't know about the downward slope. I don't want to modify the hole going through the wall, but maybe I should.

Now, what is the 'best' wall faucet assembly on the market? I guess, with 'best' I mean reliable and easy to service and maintain.

Thanks again! MM

Old 05-15-10, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Oh...sorry..I was thinking you had a basement. Might be a bit tougher to do the work in the crawl...but the slope doesn't have to be much..maybe just a 1/4" from inside to out.

It looks like the brand you have is pretty good...I just hate plastic for these applications. Might want to look at this...Top Quality Brass Hose Bibbs by Arrowhead Brass - PlumbingSupply.com

I use them as a reference a lot. Might also see if you have a real plumbing supply house that could help you out.

You might be able to just get a freezeproof with a longer housing so the majority of it is 6-8" inside the crawl.

Also, depending on the type of pipe..might look at Sharkbite fittings to help with the repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: