Help adding valves to existing water lines for utility sink

Old 05-15-10, 06:02 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help adding valves to existing water lines for utility sink

I am looking to install my first utility sink in our laundry room. It seems that my house came with water/drainage roughed in for just this purpose. I'm looking to verify that these pipes coming out of my wall are indeed cold/hot/drainage and assuming that's the case, I need to know how to attach valves to the pipes so I can hook up my sink. Also need to know how to attach to the drain line.

Here are some pictures for reference:

Where I want to hook up utility sink:

Picture from bathroom sink. Want to get to this point where I have valves and something to connect drain to:

Thanks!

Old 05-15-10, 06:22 PM
R
You should be good to go.

The water lines appear to be capped off. There could be shut-off valves to these water pipes that are not shown, or if not, shut off your main and open a nearby faucet to relieve pressure. Have a bucket handy to catch any dropping water.

Verify pipe sizes (at home & utility sink), and take your picture with you when selecting the fittings. If needing professional help, you might want to go to a local plumbing supply store but everything should be available at one of the big box home improvement centers.

Old 05-15-10, 06:29 PM
B
Originally Posted by Rob R. View Post
You should be good to go.

The water lines appear to be capped off. There could be shut-off valves to these water pipes that are not shown, or if not, shut off your main and open a nearby faucet to relieve pressure. Have a bucket handy to catch any dropping water.

Verify pipe sizes (at home & utility sink), and take your picture with you when selecting the fittings. If needing professional help, you might want to go to a local plumbing supply store but everything should be available at one of the big box home improvement centers.
Thanks! Do you imagine the caps are simply screwed on or do you think I'm going to have to do some cutting/soldering to get this done? I suppose I should just shut off the water and see if I can unscrew?

Here is a closer picture:

Old 05-15-10, 08:04 PM
R
It looks like the wall coating was sprayed over pipes. Take a scraper or dull knife, and scrap off coating near cap ends. I canít tell if these are copper or PVC but it looks like PVC. If so, then I think youíll find slip caps that were glued on.

Youíll need to remove the coating over pipes to join your fittings. Perhaps a solvent will remove the coating.

Old 05-15-10, 08:13 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Your water supply lines are copper and the caps are sweat-soldered on. You will need to purchase a tubing cutter such as this to cut the tubing.
(Image courtesy of tools direct.com)

You will then need to ream the burr created inside the pipe when you cut it by using a round (rat-tail) file. After that you can use a compression stop valve like this to add a valve to the pipe, no soldering required.
(Image courtesy of azpartsmaster.com)
Use flexible hoses like these to connect from the valves to the sink faucet.
(Image courtesy of rd.com)

For the drain you will need to cut the pipe back closer to the wall and then glue on a trap adapter. You need to use a small hacksaw or the like to cut the pipe and you need to scrape the drywall mud from the pipe to glue on the adapter. The pipe will be either white or black, white denoting PVC pipe and black denoting ABS pipe. Be sure to get the trap adapter in the same kind (color) of pipe and get the appropriate glue, they are not interchangeable.
(Image courtesy of bathroomvesselsinks.com)

You will then need to install a trap between the trap adapter and the sink drain. I strongly recommend that you use a trap and fittings with slip nuts instead of a glued-up trap because the slip nuts are easier to fit and it also allows the trap to be removed for cleaning or using a snake in the wall piping. Glued up traps are a one-shot deal and would need to be cut out if you ever need to snake the drain.

All parts are easily available at the mega-mart homecenter.

If you have more questions just ask.

Old 05-15-10, 08:16 PM
B
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Your water supply lines are copper and the caps are sweat-soldered on. You will need to purchase a tubing cutter such as this to cut the tubing....If you have more questions just ask.
Awesome, thanks! I'll post back my results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: