What's the risk of putting two 90's on a waste stack?

Old 05-20-10, 08:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's the risk of putting two 90's on a waste stack?

New poster here. I am creating a basement in my very TALL crawl space, giving my home 3 stories, and would like to divert a waste stack (services one bathroom up on the top story) to create bit more space. My thoughts were that the drop from the upper bath is 8' then hide the pipe in the floor joist by adding a slow 90, running 4 feet with the appropriate slope, then adding another slow 90, dropping another 8 feet to the main drain pipe.

Doing this gives me a 4' hallway rather than 2.5'.

What do I need to worry about? Is there enough initial drop to alleviate the chance of a clog? If it is a conern are there 'super flushers'? Thanks.

Old 05-21-10, 11:31 AM
M
I'm not certain since I finished plumbing my log house and haven't looked at a code book lately, but I think what you want to do is a code violation. A real plumber will likely chime in eventually to confirm/deny.

Old 05-21-10, 03:33 PM
If what you call a slow 90 is a quarter bend they should not be used in your application, you should use long sweeps.

The line has to be graded 1/4in. per ft. If you cheat on your fall or fittings there is a good chance for future trouble.

I don't know of any Super Flushers that will help with bad plumbing!

Old 05-21-10, 06:12 PM
J
Thanks for clearing that up. I did mean a long.

I knew a sharp 90 wouldn't work - so a long one it is. I have plenty of room for the required fall. 4 feet = 1+ inch.

Old 05-22-10, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=jdreves;1729703]Thanks for clearing that up. I did mean a long.

I knew a sharp 90 wouldn't work - so a long one it is. I have plenty of room for the required fall. 4 feet = 1+ inch.[/QUOTE

You should be good to go. Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: